- HKU SPACE offers an application and registration service to the HKSS for all applicants for the examination.
- The examination consists of three levels, viz. the ordinary certificate level, the higher certificate level and the graduate diploma level.
- The ordinary certificate is offered in a modular form consisting of two modules.
- The higher certificate is offered in a modular form consisting of eight modules which may be taken singly or in any combination. Each module is separately certificated. The higher certificate as a whole is awarded on successful completion of six modules (subject to some restrictions on choice of modules); the "shelf life" of modules leading to this certificate is unlimited.
The Graduate Diploma is offered in two versions:
- The "traditional" version consists of five compulsory papers. These are Statistical Theory and Methods I and II, Applied Statistics I and II and an Options Paper. The subjects in the Options Paper take the form of half-syllabuses in the following six subject areas: Statistics for Economics, Econometrics, Operational Research, Medical Statistics, Biometry and Statistics for Industry and Quality Improvement. Candidates are required to answer questions on two of these half-syllabuses. This version of the graduate diploma is available for the last time in 2009 but will cease to be offered as from 2010. Candidates entering the graduate diploma for the first time in 2009 must register for the modular version. Transitional arrangements will be available for candidates who are part-way through the traditional version after the 2009 examinations, so that they may transfer to the modular version in 2010 but with credit given for work already completed.
- The Graduate Diploma is also offered in modular form, consisting of five modules which may be taken singly or in any combination. Each module is separately certificated. The graduate diploma as a whole is awarded on successful completion of all modules; the "shelf life" of modules leading to this diploma is unlimited.
- Details about arrangements for sitting the papers at the three different levels mentioned above can be found on the website of the HKSS at www.hkss.org.hk.
For the ordinary certificate and the higher certificate, candidates may opt to sit for papers in either English or Chinese. For the graduate diploma examination, all papers must be answered in English.