Life & Health Sciences Sports, Exercise & Recreation
Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 30 Aug 2017 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 2 years
- Course Fee
- HK$24,500 per year
The programme aims to introduce to students the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge to undertake fitness and exercise leadership responsibilities by being able to assess the individual or community requirements; and design and deliver the programmes and services in a safe, supportive and equitable manner.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship. The application deadline is 31 May each year.
This is a 2-year programme
- Year 1 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in September 2017
- Year 2 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in September 2018
Days / Time
- Monday 7:00 - 9:30pm (Year I) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Wednesday 7:00 - 9:30pm (Year I) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Tuesday 7:00 - 9:30pm (Year II) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Thursday 7:00 - 9:30pm (Year II) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
Year I: HS 121B, starting September 2017
1. Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise*
2. Risk Management and Exercise Facilities*
3. Exercise Physiology: Aerobic and Anaerobic*
4. Physical Performance Perspectives*
5. Nutrition for Sport and Exercise*
6. Professional Practice I: Fundamental Instructor Training
7. Academic Writing Skills
Year II: HS 121A, starting September 2018
8. Body in Motion*
9. Participation Behaviour and Exercise*
10. Exercise Programming and Prescription*
11. Commercial Aspects in Exercise Programming*
12. Exercise Techniques: An Asian and Specific Population Perspective*
13. Professional Practice II
Students who complete Modules 1 to 13 will receive the Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. Students who choose to exit after completing Modules 1 to 7 will be awarded a Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies.
* Individual modules: can be taken on their own without the need to complete the whole Advanced Diploma or Diploma programme.
- Have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in 5 subjects (including Chinese Language and English Language), or equivalent; or
- (a) (i) Be aged at least 21 years of age and have three years of relevant work experience, or
(ii) Hold a Certificate in relevant subjects;
(b) provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
(i) HKDSE English Language at Level 2; or
(ii) HKCEE English Language at Level 2; or
(iii) HKCEE English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade E (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)); or
(iv) an overall band of 6 with subtest of 5.5 in the IELTS; or
(v) a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview and/or an English test.
HK$150 non-refundableCourse Fee
- Course Fee : HK$24,500 per year (The course fee is reviewed annually and the fee for August 2017 is subject to change without prior notice)
The programme offers candidates the opportunity to begin academic development in the field of Fitness, Exercise and Coaching.
- Successful completors of the Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies may continue their studies for the Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Work Based Learning Studies ( Fitness and Exercise Studies) offered by Middlesex University, UK on a part time basis.
- Successful completors may also apply for entry to the BA (Honours) Sport Development with Coaching / BSc (Honours) Sport Management offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the University of Northumbria on a part time or full time basis.
This programme provides CPE points for professional groups as follow:
AASFP CEU (Continuing Education Units): 1.0 CEU
HKPFA - PFA Instructors may apply for Continuing Education Credit points
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
For first-come, first-served courses:
- Complete the online application form
Click the "Apply Now" button on the top right hand corner of the course webpage to make online application. Follow the instructions to fill-in the online application form.
- Make Online Payment
Pay the course fees by either using
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard via a secure online payment gateway for all first-come, first-served courses.
For award-bearing programmes:
Selected award-bearing programmes also provide online enrolment and payment service for its students.
If your programme accepts online enrolment and payment, a re-enrolment icon will be shown on the course webpage. Click the icon and follow the instructions to perform online enrolment and payment. You will receive relevant information from the programme team nearer the time of enrolment.
You may click here directly to access the online enrolment and payment service.
Please note the followings:
- Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment will be confirmed once you have made the payment online. You will receive a payment confirmation after payment has been made successfully. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Sports, Exercise & Recreation Dietetics, Food & Nutrition Hospitality, Tourism & Events
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Diploma in Sport Coaching and Performance Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies 運動創傷預防及處理高等文憑 Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management Advanced Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Work Based Learning Studies (Fitness and Exercise) Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sport Development with Coaching