Advanced General English
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 07 Sep 2017 (Thu)
- 20 weeks
- Course Fee
The Advanced General English course helps students who have successfully completed the Diploma in General English to further consolidate their language skills in preparation of their promotion to the Advanced Diploma in General English programme.
The Advanced General English (AGE) course is suitable for students who have successfully completed the SPACE Diploma in General English programme. This 60-hour non-awardbearing course helps them consolidate their English language skills before their progression to the upper advanced Advanced Diploma in General English (ADGE) programme.
This advanced level bridging course covers a variety of topics: advanced grammar (structures to show contrast or emphasis), pronunciation (use of stress and intonation in discussion), idiomatic vocabulary (proverbs, common sayings), reading, writing, speaking and listening skills, and also ways to avoid common "problematic" aspects in speaking and writing. Students are also guided through e-learning resources aimed at helping them put in more language practice in addition to class contact time.
Students who would like to join ADGE via this route must demonstrate their language competence by:
(1) satisfying their teacher's expectations during the entire course;
(2) meeting the 70% attendance requirement; and
(2) obtaining an overall pass in all AGE assessment components.
ADGE applicants with conditional offers must pass the specific assessment component(s) as identified by the Programme Team, basing on their performance at the admission interview, placement test or education background.
Successful completion of the Advanced General English course leads to a Statement of Achievement.
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: http://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english/general-english
|Start Date||07 Sep 2017 (Thu)|
|Time||6:45 - 9:45 pm|
|Venue||Room 907 Kowloon East Campus|
- 20 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Mr John O'Hanlon
*Instructors of all our courses are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Applicants should note:
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless any change is made to the advertised details, we will not issue joining instructions. If your application is accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- hold a Diploma in General English awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE
Please attach a copy of relevant letter of completion/certificate/conditional offer to your application.
- Course Fee : HK$6,600
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.