LawAlternative Dispute Resolution
Postgraduate Diploma in Arbitration
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 14 Sep 2017 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- 1 year
- Course Fee
The application of arbitration has become increasingly popular in Hong Kong. With a common law legal system and geographical convenience, Hong Kong provides the ideal venue for speedy and reliable dispute resolution for commercial conflicts. The Postgraduate Diploma in Arbitration was launched to meet the expanded application of Arbitration.
One of the best methods of dispute resolution for construction contracts international trade, shipping and trans-national businesses is arbitration for the benefits that judgments are enforceable across different jurisdictions as a result of the New York Convention. Hong Kong has a competitive advantage that there is an enormous pool of experienced professionals in the legal, shipping, international trade, and construction fields, and that they can support dispute settlement. The reservoir of specialist is expanding and the application of arbitration in various areas has increased. Another advantage is the bilingual jurisdiction adopted in Hong Kong and that is beneficial to parties from the Mainland, Taiwan and even Japan to arbitrate in Hong Kong. It is under such circumstances that the programmes are restructured with an expanded coverage cater for other fields.
The programme aims to provide professional training in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation, in particular the principles and practices of arbitration and mediation. It provides training on the application of these alternative dispute resolution methods in some identified fields including international trade, business transactions, construction, shipping, and the use of mediation in more domestic cases in housing management, family matters etc. The programme is designed as the initial step for those who want to become professional arbitrators, mediators and experts in alternative dispute resolution in a variety of fields to equip themselves with a sound academic foundation and practical knowledge.
- Law of Obligation and Civil Evidence
- Law of Arbitration
- Arbitration Practice
- Award Writing
Elective modules (choose 1 out of 3)
- Construction Law
- International Trade Law
- Law of Shipping
Teaching will be conducted through lectures, seminars and workshops. Tutorials and/or case studies discussions may be arranged where appropriate.
Assessment for all modules is based on both written examination and a set of assignments submitted during the academic year.Days / Time
- Thursday 18:45-21:45
- Saturday 14:00-18:00
- 5 module(s)
Applicants shall hold:-
- A bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university or equivalent, in a relevant discipline with at least 2 years of experience; OR
- A relevant professional qualification (e.g. RIBA/HKIA, RICS/HKIS, CIOB/HKICM, CIBSE/ICE/HKIE, HKIH/CIH, CILT, ICS, CIPS/HKIPS etc)
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English,
applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$200 non-refundableCourse Fee
- Course Fee : HK$51,500 ( 2 instalments; Members of HKIA, HKIE, HKIS, HKIH and CILTHK are given a 5% discount to the advertised course fees.)
HKU SPACE is awarded as the Recognised Course Provider by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), UK, on the provision of these programmes.Students that successfully complete the programme will be able to join CIArb at MCIArb level.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
For first-come, first-served courses:
- Complete the online application form
Click the "Apply Now" button on the top right hand corner of the course webpage to make online application. Follow the instructions to fill-in the online application form.
- Make Online Payment
Pay the course fees by either using
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard via a secure online payment gateway for all first-come, first-served courses.
For award-bearing programmes:
Selected award-bearing programmes also provide online enrolment and payment service for its students.
If your programme accepts online enrolment and payment, a re-enrolment icon will be shown on the course webpage. Click the icon and follow the instructions to perform online enrolment and payment. You will receive relevant information from the programme team nearer the time of enrolment.
You may click here directly to access the online enrolment and payment service.
Please note the followings:
- Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment will be confirmed once you have made the payment online. You will receive a payment confirmation after payment has been made successfully. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Alternative Dispute Resolution