Welcome to our European Language website.
Our main languages are Spanish, French, German and Italian, but we do also offer courses in other languages such as Arabic, Greek, Latin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Turkish.
Our award bearing courses last either 60 or 120 hours and they are mostly award bearing courses, CEF certified, with final examinations, both written, oral and listening.
Besides, we also have shorter courses of just 30 hours, more casual and non-exam based, such as courses for travellers or for beginners, courses in the mornings or during the weekends.
Finally, you can´t miss out on our fun workshops, such as Italian Fashion, Food and Drink, Cooking courses and our several cultural gatherings during the year for each of our main languages!
Our teachers are passionate and committed to the language learning and will guide you through your journey at HKU SPACE!
- Increase students’ confidence to deal with everyday spoken situations, e.g. talking about your home, talking about free time activities (e.g. food, sport and travel), discussing work and jobs and making simple phone conversations.
- Consolidate and build on the basic grammar learned in the first year, future and conditional tenses, past tenses, comparative and superlatives and gerund and participle.
- Enable students to write a short simple letter or email and to complete a simple curriculum vitae in a given format. Also to take down simple notes on a telephone conversation.
- Build students’ confidence while listening so that they can demonstrate an understanding of the main point in short simple messages and everyday conversations, e.g. when listening to information about family, the local area and hobbies or when listening to basic information on the telephone.
- Introduce students to some important areas of Portuguese culture, e.g. culinary specialties, regions of Portugal and Portuguese-speaking countries, housing, industry (e.g. tourism and fashion).
- Improve students’ spoken fluency while expressing opinions and plans on a range of topics: e.g. free time activities, sport, culture, art, food and drink, holidays, etc.
- Consolidate and deepen students’ grammatical accuracy while speaking and writing.
- Enable students to write a variety of simple texts on topics of personal interest.
- Build students’ confidence while listening so that they can demonstrate an understanding of and respond to challenging situations on the phone and in daily conversation.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the Portuguese culture so that they can compare it with their own and deal more easily with everyday situations while in Portugal or Portuguese-speaking countries.