Life & Health SciencesSports, Exercise & Recreation
Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 28 Aug 2019 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 2 years
- Course Fee
- HK$24,500 per year
The programme aims to introduce to students the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge to undertake fitness and exercise leadership responsibilities by being able to assess the individual or community requirements; and design and deliver the programmes and services in a safe, supportive and equitable manner.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship. The application deadline is 31 May each year.
This is a 2-year programme
- Year 1 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in August 2019
- Year 2 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in August 2020
Remark: Students are required to have an up to date cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) qualification in order to be eligible for the award of Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies.
|Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year I) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Wednesday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year I) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Tuesday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year II) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year II) (occassionally classes may finish at 10pm)
Year I: HS 121B, starting August 2019
1. Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise*
2. Risk Management and Exercise Facilities*
3. Exercise Physiology: Aerobic and Anaerobic*
4. Physical Performance Perspectives*
5. Nutrition for Sport and Exercise*
6. Professional Practice I: Fundamental Instructor Training
7. Academic Writing Skills
Year II: HS 121A, starting August 2020
8. Body in Motion*
9. Participation Behaviour and Exercise*
10. Exercise Programming and Prescription*
11. Injuries for Sport and Exercise*
12. Exercise Techniques: An Asian and Specific Population Perspective*
13. Professional Practice II
Students who complete Modules 1 to 13 will receive the Advanced Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. Students who choose to exit after completing Modules 1 to 7 will be awarded a Diploma in Fitness and Exercise Studies.
* Individual modules: can be taken on their own without the need to complete the whole Advanced Diploma or Diploma programme.
- Have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in 5 subjects (including Chinese Language and English Language), or equivalent; or
- (a) (i) Be aged at least 21 years of age and have three years of relevant work experience, or
(ii) Hold a Certificate in relevant subjects;
(b) provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
(i) HKDSE English Language at Level 2; or
(ii) HKCEE English Language at Level 2; or
(iii) HKCEE English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade E (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)); or
(iv) an overall band of 6 with subtest of 5.5 in the IELTS; or
(v) a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview and/or an English test.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$24,500 per year (The course fee is reviewed annually and the fee for August 2019 is subject to change without prior notice)
The programme offers candidates the opportunity to begin academic development in the field of Fitness, Exercise and Coaching.
- Successful completors may also apply for entry to the BSc (Honours) Sport Coaching offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the University of Northumbria on a part time or full time basis.
This programme provides CPE points for professional groups as follow:
AASFP CEU (Continuing Education Units): 1.0 CEU
HKPFA - PFA Instructors may apply for Continuing Education Credit points
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.