Certificate in Business English
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 04 Mar 2021 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- September 2021
- 12 months
- Course Fee
- HK$4,500 per module
(1) For admission details or placement test appointments, please contact Ms Jasmine Chiu (2975 5880) / Ms Christy Chung (2975 5695);
(2) Deadline for Early Bird Discount is Saturday 6 February 2021.
We thank you for your interest in SPACE Business English.
Business English Programme Team
The Certificate in Business English programme helps working professionals communicate accurately and effectively in spoken and written English in various business contexts. This is the entry level of the Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Business English programme, comprising two 45-hour modules, which can be taken as standalone courses with no commitment to complete the entire programme.
Module 1: Modern Business Writing Skills
Module 2: Modern Business Oral Skills
Students learn to present information through activities in writing emails, letters, memos and minutes with logicality and correctness in tone and appropriateness. They enhance fluency through participating in similated meetings and presentations.
The two modules are very focused and they provide the much needed training in two major language areas: writing and oral communication.
After the TWO 45-hour Certificate in Business English modules, students generally continue to enhance their language proficiency by participating the FOUR Diploma level modules. Follow these links for details:
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english/business-english
Modern Business Writing Skills
Modern Business Writing Skills is one of the two compulsory modules leading to the HKU SPACE Certificate in Business English award. The module covers:
- Effective written communication: Style, tone, image and impact
- Internal communication: Email, memos and minutes
- External communication: Job applications, enquiries, complaints and their replies
6 Mar 2021
|Saturdays, 2:30 - 5:30 pm||Room 809, Kowloon East Campus|
Modern Business Oral Skills
Modern Business Oral Skills is one of the two compulsory modules leading to the HKU SPACE Certificate in Business English award. The module covers:
- Effective telephone skills
- Presentation language
- Asking and handling questions
- Meeting language
4 Mar 2021
Thursdays, 6:45 - 9:45 pm
Room 1402, HPSHCC Campus
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes to Applicants
Only programmes are reimbursable under the CEF scheme. Students have to successfully complete TWO modules in the Certificate in Business English programme to be eligible to CEF reimbursement.
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- 12 months
- hold a Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage, Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation ) or Certificate in General English (Intermediate) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- have gained the HKDSE Examination Level 3 or above in English Language;
- have obtained in the HKCEE Grade D (Syllabus B) or Grade B (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 3 in English Language from 2007;
- have obtained in the HKALE Grade E in AS Use of English.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merits.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test . There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the module(s) of their choice. The test schedules for this intake are:
22 Jan 2021 (Friday)
* 6 Feb 2021 (Saturday)
For registration, please refer to Business English Day.
Admiralty Centre, Admiralty, HK
*Enrol on the same day and enjoy Fee Waiver. [Please prepare a cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE") for the Business English Entry Test Fee and submit it at the test venue on the test day. The Fee ($200) will be refunded to those who enrol into a Business English course on the same day (6 Feb 2021).]
Application forms for the Business English Entry Test are available from:
- any HKU SPACE enrolment centre
- HKU SPACE website
For progression to the next level, visit:
http://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/adv-dip-in-business-english ; and
- Course Fee : HK$4,500 per module (Regular fee for modules at certificate level.)
- Early Bird Rate : HK$4,300 per module (Early-Bird discounted fee for enrolment on/before 6 Feb 2021.)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in Business English|
|COURSE CODE 24C00178-1||FEES $9,000 (regular) or $8,600 (for early enrolment)||ENQUIRY 2975-5880|
Continuing Education Fund
The Certificate in Business English is registered with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) as a CEF reimbursable programme.
Full details of the reimbursement requirements can be found on: http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Business English
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of