Certificate in German (Introductory) (Part 1 & Part 2)
- Course Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- September 2021
- 20 weeks
- German supplemented with a little English where necessary for explanation.
Please refer to 'Introductory German (Part 1)' and 'Introductory German (Part 2)' for course schedule information.
Certificate in German (Introductory) is available in one 120-hour programme or two 60-hour programmes (Part 1 and Part 2). After completion of both Part 1 and Part 2, the level will be equivalent to the HKU SPACE "Certificate in German (Introductory)" programme. The programme is equivalent to A1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
Class arrangement during COVID-19
The COVID-19 situation may still be fluid and constantly affect class arrangements in the coming months. The health and safety of our students will always be our top priority. To ensure that students’ academic progress is not affected, the School may substitute face-to-face classes with online teaching if necessary in the event that face-to-face classes cannot be held. Our respective Programme Teams will contact the students concerned with details of such arrangements as necessary.
The programme is aimed at students with no previous or little knowledge of the language. It covers a range of everyday topics and situations and includes a balance of all four skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing), as well as practice on key grammar points, vocabulary and pronunciation relevant to the level. By the end of the programme, students should be able to understand and use basic everyday phrases to introduce themselves, ask and answer questions about personal details. They will also learn language to deal with everyday situations like shopping, eating out, talking about their jobs, families and interests.
- The Certificate in German (Introductory) (Part 1) course gives students a chance to see if they like German before committing themselves to further study.
- The Certificate in German (Introductory) (Part 2) course follows on from the Certificate in German (Introductory) (Part 1) course. Students who pass this course receive the HKUSPACE Certificate in German (Introductory).
- Together they last 120 hours and have the same content as the year-long Certificate in German (Introductory) course that lasts 120 hours.
- Students who complete a Certificate in German (Introductory) (Part 2) course can join a 120-hour Certificate in German (Intermediate) course.
- Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Unless any change is made to the advertised details, we will not issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown. All the necessary teaching materials will be sent to you at the first session.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- Swapping between parallel groups (if any) is not allowed under any circumstances.
- No make-up classes will be offered for students’ absence.
- 20 weeks, 60 hours
Applicants shall have
- no previous or little knowledge of the language; and
- sufficient English proficiency to follow simple explanations in English
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.