Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Executive Certificate in Big Data, Governance and Compliance
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 23 May 2020 (Sat)
- 3 months
- Course Fee
- HK$6000 per programme
During global turmoils and uncertainty situations from the plague outbreaks...
In view of the sudden change in the situation of the Coronavirus outbreak...
Enrol this programme to explore new knowledge about Big Data, Cybersecurity, Governance and Compliance issues!
This programme aims to provide students with an overview in Big Data potentials, fraud detection and prevention for banking and financial services. The programme contents cover challenges and limitations in using Big Data in banking and financial services. Key concepts include Big Data governance and compliance regulatory requirement, best practices in data protection and risk management. Case studies will be used to explain the importance of fraud detection and prevention in reducing company losses.
HSBC hired an analytics expert to shape up its compliance team by efinancialcareers
分業監管礙金融科技 by appledaily
BIG DATA ANALYSIS AND ITS NEED FOR EFFECTIVE E-GOVERNANCE International Journal of Innovations & Advancement in Computer Science
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. examine the Big Data handling process with ethical issues of Big Data collection and privacy protection within the financial services;
2. discuss the Big Data governance as a corporate governance imperative;
3. discuss the Big Data challenges and opportunities in banking and financial services;
4. evaluate the risk and challenges in real life case studies of handling Big Data fraud detection and prevention;
5. leverage current technology and Big Data to enhance governance and compliance;
6. develop a privacy framework to protect privacy information from Big Data.
Prof. Stephen Ng
Prof. Ng is a seasoned executive for InnoTech ICT and Digital business. He launched many first innotechs in the region, namely the first Broadband, 3G, 4G, e-commerce, m-commerce, Mobile Apps, SaaS cloud, Biometric IDaaS, AI automation, Social Analytics through Machine Learning etc., Graduates of FinTech, AI, and Education from various Universities including Oxford and Bristol. He has obtained professional qualifications including Finance, IT, Security, Psychology, Education, Legal Studies and Management.
Professor Ng has taught the existing programme at HKU SPACE with topics related to Big Data, Governance & Compliance over three years as well as delivered the various seminars related to Big Data, AI and FinTech.
He has served as Company Doctor and Mentor for Corporates and Startups over years, successfully helping Intellectuals Transfer and Wisdom Inspirations on different dimensions across industries and governments in the region as well as sharing and inspiring Executives at various levels from his rich insights and experiences.
Professor Ng was also invited as Honouray Advisor for various international NGOs, forums, academics and professional settings. He has proactively promoted Mindfulness-Based Entreprenuarship & Intelligence Transformations in Public and Private sectors, and proposed the Happiness Value-Chain approach in Business Transformation and Benchmarking on international leadership forums.
He has received various awards from government and renowned communities from Tech Gibs to Life Hackings, included NASA, TechCrunch & HKSAR government etc. Currently, he is conducting R&D projects in Blockchain 4.0, RegTech 2.0 designs and various startup projects. He continues serving the MindTech disruptions towards better Humanity and Technological Advancements.
|Application Code||1785-EP106A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- 5 meeting(s)
- 6 hours per meeting
- Admiralty Learning Centre
- HK Island
1. What is Big Data?
2. Big Data processing chain
- Data, database, data warehouse, data mining, data visualization
3. Defining Big Data – volume; velocity; variety; variability and veracity
4. Big Data landscape
5. Business and Technology implications of Big Data
6. Management and Storage of Big Data – cloud storage
7. Business Challenges and Big Data Opportunities in Financial Services and Banking:
- Key business challenges
- How can the financial services industry use Big Data?
A. Asset Management Banking
i) Potential of Bank Customer Data:
- Customer Analytics: Customer segmentation for banking needs
- Personalized financial products offering
ii) How can Banks realize greater value from customer data?
iii) How can Banks scale-up to next level of customer data analytics?
iv) How Big Data transforms Banking and Financial Services?
v) Limitations for Banks to exploit Big Data
C. Capital Markets
- Enterprise modelling platform
- Risk and capital management
- Wealth management
- Improving customer intimacy
- Improving fraud detection
8. Fraud detection and security
- Fraud Detection Techniques with Predictive Analytics
- Best practices for implementing Big Data for fraud prevention
- How Big Data analytics enhances monitoring performance and enables quicker decisions in detecting suspicious behavior, uncovering threats and vulnerabilities, preventing security incidents, and backing up forensic analyses
- Risk Prediction
- Corporate Fraud detection and prevention
Cases: Preventing Health Care Fraud with Big Data and Analytics/ Insurance claims; Fraud monitoring and fraud risk management case: Big Data based fraud risk management at Alibaba
9. Data Protection in the era of Big Data and the responsibility of information governance and compliance from a privacy prospective:
- Potential challenges in the staggered data
- Volume and sensitivity of data sets
- Maximize potential of Big Data and protects privacy of consumers
- Ambiguous data collection
- Unauthorized sharing and unexpected uses of data
- Heightened security risks
- Potential for discrimination
- Privacy framework with appropriate approach to notice and consent
- Ethical and fair usage of Big Data to achieve value based innovation
- Compliance and regulatory reporting
Assessment method: class participation + assignment
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
May 2020 intake (M29025)
|1||23 May 2020 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|2||30 May 2020 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|3||6 June 2020 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|4||13 June 2020 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|5||20 June 2020 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$6000 per programme (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data, A.I. and Investing Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence