Accounting & Finance Investment Management
Executive Diploma in Sustainable Finance and Investment
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 20 Nov 2021 (Sat)
- 5 months
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
- HK$9000 per module; HK$18000 per programme
Due to the course planning, Module 2, Application of Sustainable Finance and Investment module will be suspended until further notice.
After students completing Module 1, Introduction to Sustainable Finance and Investment module and have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme, they can get the programme with the exit award of Executive Certificate in Sustainable Finance and Investment.
Have the mindset that CEOs/COOs ought to possess and the practical knowledge a sustainability officer and investment analyst should acquire.
Learn from experts with Professional qualifications and experience.
The programme aims to give participants a holistic view of the latest development of sustainable finance and investment. The topics cover a wide range of hottest issues in this field from basic sustainable investment to more in-depth social venture capital. As this field is a cross-disciplinary study and still emerging, a practical approach is adopted to outline the mindset change of decision makers with real-life case studies.
Students may choose to exit the programme after completing Module 1 for an Executive Certificate award.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
1. Discuss the latest development of sustainable finance and investment;
2. Evaluate sustainability opportunities and risks;
3. Apply skill set in sustainable investing in their daily work;
4. Examine the relationship between investment return expectations, economic growth and sustainability initiatives;
5. Analyze and interpret the monetary value of sustainable investing.
HKU SPACE has been recognized by the SFC as an approved CPT course provider.
(1) Mr. O. M. Chan has been working in the retail industry since 1991. He is now the Chief Financial Officer of a sizable retail group. Mr. Chan is a graduate of University of Wolverhampton where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in Law. He furthered his postgraduate studies in University of Dundee to obtain his MBA degree, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University for MSc in Information Systems and EMA in Innovation Leadership, LLM with China Business Laws and MA English Linguistics in the Open University of Hong Kong. Mr. Chan is a professional accountant with an international profile. He is a Chartered Accountant in England and Wales and Chartered Company Secretary in the U.K. He is also a Fellow member of the HKICPA, the ACCA, the CIMA and CPA (Australia).
(2) Mr. Ronald Mok has 25 years of experience in the fields of training, consultancy, education, banking and finance. He is currently a senior manager of a consultancy firm servicing corporates in the Greater China, and also a part-time lecturer of a local university. In addition, he has held training and lectures for an overseas university and some local tertiary institutions. Prior to taking up these positions, he worked for two international banks and one of the Big Four auditors, with extensive exposure to account management, credit and financial analysis as well as tax advisory. He is now a Doctorate candidate in Business Administration and has obtained degrees in MBA, MA (QA for Business), MProfAcc and BEng from reputable local universities.
(3) Mr. Jacob Wai, FRM, CMA (Australia), has 20 years of experience in the IT industry, specialising in reporting and analytics solutions for companies across different industries from FSI to FMCG Retail with core focus in the Asian regions, with locations such as Australia, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Singapore, but also experienced in global settings such as UK, US, Swiss and France. Mr. Wai is currently a Chief Data Officer in a leading Fintech company in Hong Kong. Formerly heading Data Governance for China CITIC Bank International, implementing the governance initiative for the BCBS239 framework, and prior to that, an Associate Director for Regional Trading Risk Analytics and Reporting IT for UBS AG and past roles includes global development lead for the VaR and PnL simulation aggregation and analytics system at HSBC, and heading the HK analytics consulting arm of Getronics HK, with expert knowledge of market risk analysis and reporting and limits monitoring, specifically in addressing BCBS239. He received a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) from University of Technology, Sydney, a MBA from University of Wales, and a Master of Laws from University of Greenwich, and a Doctorate Candidate in Business Administration. In addition, he regularly addresses at events as keynote or panelist in various forums and is a columnist in various publications.
(4) Mr. Mike Hui, CFA, has extensive teaching and training experience. He teaches finance and investment planning course at HKU SPACE for more than 17 years and is now an Adjunct Lecturer of HKU SPACE delivering courses of Chartered Financial Analyst CFA Examination and Advanced Diploma for Financial Planning programme to prepare students for Certified Financial Planner Examination. He also owns a consultancy company and for decade, he conducted banking and finance courses to banks in Hong Kong and Mainland China. Mike has over twenty years of banking & finance experience in various areas of merchant banking, commercial banking and wealth management. He is awarded Master of Science in Finance by the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Mike is a director of WISDP. He is pursuing a DBA program and his research interests include application of behavioral economics to sustainability issues.
(5) Mr. Angus Yip has more than 25 years’ hands-on banking and finance working experience. He is a veteran corporate banker (trade finance and syndication) at CCIC (an associate company of Bank One, which was later merged to JP Morgan Chase) and External Asset Manager for UBS, managing high-net-worth clients’ assets on discretionary basis. Angus obtained double Master Degrees from the University of Cambridge (Sustainability) and Lancaster University (Accounting & Finance) respectively. He completed the GRI Certified Training Program. He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at Institute of China Business at HKU SPACE and the Chartered Banker (UK). Currently, he is a Director of Sustainability at CSG Group, a Hong Kong based leading market research and business consulting firm established in 1982. He is now working with listed companies on their ESG reports. He used to work with a sizable private equity fund for the ESG performance of its portfolio companies.
|Application Code||1955-EP117A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
Module 1: Introduction to Sustainable Finance and Investment:
1. Corporate Sustainability Basics
-Define corporate sustainability
-Triple bottom line and its significance to business success
-Multiple applications of corporate sustainability to businesses
2. Overview of Sustainable Finance and Investment
-What is sustainable finance and investment
-The scope and uses
-Examples of the financing and investment models
3. Traditional vs Sustainable Finance and Investment
-Definitions of Tradition and Sustainable forms of Finance and Investment
-Objectives of Traditional vs Sustainable Finance and Investment
-Key performance measurement indicators of Traditional vs Sustainable Finance and Investment
4. Sustainability Analysis
-Basic concepts of sustainable and responsible investing
-Factors affecting sustainability and their significance
-Approaches and tools for sustainability analysis
5. Social Innovations, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Finance and Investment
-Using social innovations as new strategies, concepts and ideas for organizations to meet the social needs and strengthen civil society
-Corporate Social responsibility being part of social innovations that applicable in the business sector and aims for the advocating of Corporate Conscience
-Adopting sustainable finance and investment as the investment strategy which seeks to consider both financial return and social good to bring about social innovations
6. Sustainability Life Cycle Assessment
-What is a sustainability life cycle assessment?
-Techniques in sustainability life cycle assessment
-Sustainability life cycle assessment in practice
7. Insurtech for innovation
-Innovative application in product distribution, underwriting, product design, customer engagement, claim processing and fraud prevention
-Challenges and opportunities
8. Sustainable Banking Models
-Sustainable business models as an innovation basics
-8 sustainable business model archetypes in banking
-Real-life examples in banking
9. How to write ESG reports for listed companies?
-Brief history of ESG reporting
-Hong Kong Stock Exchange’s requirements
-The basic steps to draft a good ESG report
10. Introduction to ESG investment analysis
-Environmental, social and governance factors in investment analysis
-ESG investment analysis by negative screening and positive screening
-Thematic investing vs. impact investing
Assessment: In-class exercise and Group Project (Presentation + Powerpoint + Write-Up)
Module 2: Application of Sustainable Finance and Investment:
1. ESG Investing and Integrated Reporting
-Introduction of the latest ESG Investment frameworks
-Integrated Reporting and case study
2. Long Term Value Creation & Behavioral Finance/Nudging
-Corporate management under sustainable economy
-Sustainable competitive advantage: competitive position, business model, intangible assets and strategies;
-Active and passive investment for sustainable investment;
-Conditions for long-term value creation by investors;
-Behavioral Biases, Choice Architect, and Nudge Theory
-Nudging sustainable and responsible investments
3. Equity analysis
-ESG integration from financial and non-financial perspectives
-ESG integrated analysis: company analysis, value drivers and investment case
-Societal function of finance and new approach of equity investing
-ESG investing and impact investing
4. Sustainable Finance modelling and Fintech
-Sustainable finance modelling techniques
-Fintech and sustainable lending models
-Insurtech and specific risk
-Sustainable loans and Fintech
-Qualitative data and big data analytics
5. Bonds and Financial Communication
i) Bond Investment
-State of play on ESG integration and bond investment
-ESG integration from the perspectives of bond issuers
-Downside protection for bond investors and bondholder activism
-Capital and asset allocation for bond investors
ii) Communication in Sustainable Investment
-Importance of communicating sustainable business value
-Stakeholders in the communication model
-Examples of communication of sustainability with investors
Assessment: In-class exercise and Group Project (Presentation + Powerpoint + Write-Up)
Module 1: Introduction to Sustainable Finance and Investment
|1||20 Nov 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|2||27 Nov 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|3||4 Dec 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|4||11 Dec 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|5||18 Dec 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
**Due to the course planning, Module 2, Application of Sustainable Finance and Investment module will be suspended until further notice.
**After students completing Module 1, Introduction to Sustainable Finance and Investment module and have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme, they can get the programme with the exit award of Executive Certificate in Sustainable Finance and Investment.
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$9000 per module; HK$18000 per programme
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
The World Institute of Sustainable Development Planners Limited ( WISDP ) is a learned society set up to provide training of Sustainable Development Planners (SDP) in all 3 components, namely Environmental, Societal & Economic, of Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs), an initiate campaign & programme in support of UN Agenda 2030. WISDP has been appointed as an educational provider by UNESCO HK to run its Certified Sustainable Development Planner (CSDP) programme.
A Memorandum of Understanding was made on November 1, 2017 between UNESCO HK Association and WISDP .The objective of the memorandum is to set out the basic understanding between the two parties to closely cooperate in the areas for the purpose of promoting UN Agenda 2030 and 17 Substainable Development Goals.It includes (i) development of curricula for professionals that address major issues in sustainable development; (ii) invitation of prestigious speakers and guests from different professional sectors to provide SDF expertise; (iii) quality assurance of related professional training programs; (iv) general promotion of WISDP and UNESCO HK events and courses.
- More Programmes of
- Investment Management