Architecture, Environment & HousingArchitecture
Freehand Drawing + Urban Sketching
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 12 weeks
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
This course focuses on drawing from the observation of buildings, architectural space and scenery. It is intended for students of all levels to develop and/or refine skills and techniques for recording the built environment and to be able to sketch freely in any context. Emphasis is placed on architectural freehand sketching/drafting technique, drawing composition, proportion, and perspective. We will also explore the art of urban sketching with field practice and become an urban sketcher.
Drawing media will emphasize graphite, and ink, with the elective addition of colored pencil and / or watercolor. Classes are structured around brief lectures & demonstrations, on-site sketching sessions and individual and group critiques. Weekly drawing assignments serve to further skill development along with sketching on locations.
Freehand Drawing for Architecture is an ideal course for students who are interested in preparing a portfolio of architecture-related work; architects seeking to renew or develop drawing skills for travel; designers and fine artists interested in expanding methods of representation.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Perspective drawings
- Different types of line drawing
- Architectural lettering
- Planning your sketch
- Drawing Facades
- Light and shadows
- Panoramic Cityscapes
- Different urban sketching tools
- Drawing people in the city
- Expressive sketching techniques
- Working in layers
- Making narrative through the sketch page
- Shapes and forms
- Breaking down your sketch
- Sketching Interior vs. exterior
* You may bring a drawing pencil (3B – 5B) and a sketchbook in A5 size for the first lesson. But this is optional because the first lesson is an introduction, and the lecturer will give you further details on what materials you need at that time as well.
* A notification email will be sent to applicants to confirm the course details 2 - 3 days before the course starts.
Mr. Alvin Wong, B. Arch (Calpoly Pomona, California)
Born in Hong Kong, Alvin is graduated from California State Polytechnic University Pomona, worked in USA, Singapore, China and Hong Kong as design architect and interior designer for many years. Alvin is the co-founder of Urban Sketchers Hong Kong, and the committee member of the international Urban Sketchers. Alvin held several publications, group and solo exhibitions from 2013 to 2015 at private galleries, City Gallery and the Fringe Club. He also giving talks, lectures and workshops at School of Design of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, School of Architecture of Zhu Hai College, Hong Kong Architecture Centre and City Gallery, on the topics of Architecture Design, Architecture presentation, freehand drawings and Urban Sketching. Alvin is currently hosting radio program on art, history and architecture.
|Time||2:00 - 4:00pm|
|Venue||Fortress Tower Learning Centre and on site sketching at various locations in Hong Kong|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- 12 meeting(s)
- 2 hours per meeting
Fortress Tower Learning Centre
and on site sketching at various locations in Hong Kong
|10 June||Fortress Tower Learning Centre||2:00 - 4:00pm|
|17 June||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|24 June||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|8 July||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|15 July||Outdoor Sketch|
|22 July||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|5 August||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|12 August||Outdoor Sketch|
|19 August||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|26 August||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|2 September||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
|9 September||Fortress Tower Learning Centre|
*No class on 1 July and 29 July 2017.
Applicants should be 18 years old or above.
- Course Fee : HK$4,080
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.