Computing and Data Science Data Science
The programme aims to prepare students for both an industrial career with skills in the fields of networks, sensor technologies, pervasive computing, embedded systems, signal processing, security, statistical analysis and data analytics in addition to providing a relevant platform to embark on further research study. Students will also be able to apply the acquired skills in the development of Internet of Things (IoT) systems and applications. Students will be introduced all the core taught material and understand a range of topics and skills associated with the creation, evaluation and deployment of IoT systems and applications.
Ulster University was established in 1968 as the New University of Ulster. It merged with Ulster Polytechnic in 1984 under the University of Ulster banner; incorporating its four campuses in Belfast, Coleraine, Magee College in Derry, and Jordanstown. The university has branch campuses in both London and Birmingham, and an extensive distance learning provision. The university rebranded as Ulster University from October 2014 and this included a revised visual identity.
Ulster University has a national and international reputation for excellence, innovation and regional engagement and continues to make a major contribution to the economic, social and cultural development of Northern Ireland. It is a leading modern university ranked 126-150th in the European Teaching Rankings 2018 and 150-200th in the Young University Rankings 2020 of The Times Higher Education.
Ulster University has an outstanding reputation for teaching and research, as evidenced by the outcomes of the National Student Survey (NSS) survey and the Research Excellence Framework. Coupled with the world class facilities and a practical focus, creates an educational experience that develops skills, raises ambitions and prepares future leaders.
The entire programme comprises 7 modules (180 UK credits in total), to be completed in 24 months. Upon completion of 180 credits (at FHEQ level 6/7), students will be awarded a Master of Science Internet of Things. Upon completion of 120 credits (at FHEQ level 6/7), can be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Internet of Things.
Statistical Modelling and Data Mining
IoT Networks and Security
Big Data and Infrastructure
Digital Signal Processing
Embedded Systems and Sensors
Assessment for most modules is in the form of continuous assessments. Continuous assessment includes assignments, exercises, written reports, projects, presentations, practical skills assessments, portfolios and tests, depending on the nature of the modules.
News about the Internet of Things (IoT) Industry Development in Hong Kong:
- WFH改變人力市場 六成Z世代擬跳槽 (信報財經新聞 2021-04-21)
- 人力資源發展四大趨勢 (星島日報 2021-04-16)
- 資訊科技僱員七成加薪 增幅贏通脹 (信報財經新聞 2021-03-22)
|Application Code||2045-IT084A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
Statistical Modelling & Data Mining
Automated data collection tools lead to large amounts of data stored in databases, data warehouses and other information repositories. Automated data analytics and mining techniques are becoming essential components to any information system. The aim of this module is to equip students with a systematic understanding of knowledge of the underlying principles for the analysis of this data and the essential skills required for data mining and visualisation within complex, real-world context.
IoT Networks and Security
Provide an appreciation of the IoT architecture and protocols.
- Provide an understanding of the challenges associated with creating, securing and managing IoT networks.
- Inform on the application of security for IoT networks, delving into subjects such as encryption, authentication and integrity.
- Develop practical skills in the development and evaluation of IoT networks
Provide students with an opportunity to carry out a comprehensive research investigation of the various technologies utilised within pervasive computing;
- Develop a critical awareness of the complex and emerging issues surrounding the design, development and evaluation of pervasive computing solutions. This will be facilitated through practical experience working with pervasive sensor technology and the data that can be collected from it;
- Build a comprehensive understanding of research techniques through self-direction and autonomous working, making sound judgments and proposing new hypotheses to the application and usage of pervasive computing technologies;
- Develop an appreciation for the social and ethical issues associated with pervasive computing and its application in a range of domains.
Big Data & Infrastructure
This module aims to understand the selection criteria and use case related to each class of database system.
Digital Signal Processing
This module aims to develop students with a deep understanding of digital signal processing with particular applications to sensors and relating IoT systems.
Embedded Systems and Sensors
To provide the student with extensive knowledge and to develop an understanding of the embedded systems hardware principles.
- To provide the student with expertise in the programming of embedded systems. The software aspect of this module will focus on the development of C/C++ based software for embedded systems.
- To develop student's expertise in critical evaluation and implementation of the embedded software using up to date industry standard design, debug and validation methods.
- To apply the principles and concepts of the embedded systems design for the development of practical skills in the engineering of the microcontroller- based and programmable logic embedded systems applications.
The research project offers students an opportunity to complete a scholarly yet realistic piece of work during which material developed throughout the programme and extended through in-depth literature research can be related and applied to a problem drawn from a research area. The project tests the inventiveness, the critical capacities, the project management and the in-depth knowledge and problem-solving skills of students.
Classes are delivered in weekday evenings (7-10pm) or weekends day time. Students will be arranged to study two 20-credit modules in each teaching block, and then they will have at least 7 months to prepare for and submit the Masters Project.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$120,000 paid in 4 instalments
(subject to annual revision without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.