Accounting & FinanceAccounting
Certificate for Module (The Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries Examinations Preparatory Programme – Interpreting Financial and Accounting Information)
證書 (單元: 香港特許秘書公會專業考試預備課程-財務及會計資訊分析)
- Course Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- June 2020
- 3 months
- Course Fee
The aim of this programme is to equip students with the required knowledge in accounting and finance to interpret financial and accounting information. They would be able to provide advice to the company board or similar decision-making body in term of company strategy development, decision-making and direction and to prepare candidates to write the professional examinations of the Chartered Governance Qualifying Programme, which is recognized worldwide. It is the students' responsibility to determine whether they are eligible to participate in the CGQP examination.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Participate in matters relating to regulating financial reporting by corporations;
- Illustrate how financial statements and reports are prepared and evaluate them in order to provide insightful interpretation;
- Identify sources of finance of the corporations and evaluate their risks and returns;
- Evaluate the nature of capital structure, their impact and the cost of capital for decision making;
- Critically evaluate the different financial theories for decision making.
- The regulatory framework and the role of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- The conceptual framework for financial reporting
- Preparation and presentation of single entity financial statements
- Other contents and features of published accounts
- Interpretation of accounting policies based on HKFRS
- Financial reporting by groups of companies
- Analysis and evaluation of financial statements
- Financial markets and the identification of financing needs
- Sources of long-term finance
- Sources of short-term finance
- The cost of capital and capital structure
- Working capital management
- Risk assessment in investment appraisal techniques
- Company analysis and business valuation methods
- Project appraisal techniques
* For details regarding the course / examination syllabus, schedule and studentship requirement, please refer to https://www.hkics.org.hk/page.php?menu_id=4&sub_menu_id=106 or 2881 6177.
The passing mark for course assessment is 50. Students who have successfully fulfilled the programme assessments (i.e. passed the assignment AND take home mock examination PLUS attended at least 70% of the classes) will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE "Certificate for Module (The Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries Examinations Preparatory Programme – Interpreting Financial and Accounting Information)".
*Assessment methods, class schedule, venue and teacher are subject to change without prior notice
Days / Time
- Thursday, 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- *Two Meeting on Sunday (10:00am - 1:00pm)
- 36 hours per programme; 12 session(s); 3 hours per session
- Any of the HKU SPACE’s Learning Centres in Hong Kong Island
- Mr Clemence Poon
- Any interested party of 21 years old or above
- Should be either a Hong Kong citizen or have valid permit to study in Hong Kong
Students should check with HKICS that they meet HKICS’s requirements and are eligible to write the examinations.
- Course Fee : HK$4,050 (non-refundable and study materials included )
- ( *Course Fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Please click here to apply online.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of