Technology, Engineering & SciencesStatistics
Certificate in Applied Statistics (Sample Survey for Business and Research)
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 11 Dec 2017 (Mon)
- 7 months
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
This programme aims to provide training on survey sampling and to teach participants how to interpret data and draw valid conclusions; and provides a base for future use of probability and statistics in business and in different kinds of research.
Aims & Objectives
The aims are to provide students with knowledge on how to collect, present, and apply business and research data in marketing, strategic planning and different kinds of research.
Upon completion of this programme, students are able to:
- apply the techniques of survey sampling for business and research purposes;
- collect and compile data for research, business strategic planning and decision making;
- interpret and draw valid conclusions from the survey findings for marketing and other decisions.
Medium of Instruction
- Tentatively every Monday and Friday
7.00 - 10.00 pm (3 hours per meeting)
100 contact hours
- Official statistics for business decisions and research
- Sample surveys for business, marketing, social, medical and other applications
- Key steps in surveys:
– Sampling design– Data collection methods– Questionnaire design– Pilot testing and reduction of errors– Data processing– Data analysis methods and graphic presentation
- Statistical distributions for business/research applications
- Regression and correlation analysis for business and research
- Time series analysis and business forecasting
- Index numbers for business and other applications
- Statistical testing for decisions
- Report writing for business surveys and research
(Excel will be used for data analyses in this course)
have completed Secondary 5 education and have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in Mathematics or Statistics; or
have completed Secondary 6 edcuation and have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in Mathematics or Statistics; or
have gained other equivalent qualifications.
- Course Fee : HK$12,000
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
CEF SectorBusiness Services
|Certificate in Applied Statistics (Sample Survey for Business and Research)
|COURSE CODE 21C09863-9||FEES $12,000||ENQUIRY 2975-5683|
Continuing Education Fund
This Certificate in Applied Statistics (Sample Survey for Business and Research) (CEF Code 21C09863-9) is included in the list of Reimbursable Courses under the Hong Kong SAR Government’s Continuing Education Fund (CEF). Eligible applicants will be reimbursed 80% of their fees, subject to a maximum sum of HK$10,000 (whichever is the less), on successful completion of the course.
Applicants should submit their CEF applications as soon as they have been accepted, and have paid for the course for which reimbursement of fees is to be made. In any event, it should be made before the commencement of the course. Late applications will not be accepted by the Government.
To be eligible for CEF reimbursement, students must:
- be aged from 18 to 65 at the time of application;
- register with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund before the start of the class;
- fulfil the 70% attendance requirement;
- pass the course successfully
For more details, please visit the following website or contact at 3142-2277. You may also obtain the CEF brochure in any of the HKU SPACE enrollment counters.
|Continuing Education Fund
This programme has been included in the list of CEF reimbursable programmes. Application for CEF has to be made before commencement of the programme.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please complete and return the application form (SF 26) with photocopied evidence of relevant academic qualifications to :
Note: Sufficient postage should be paid to avoid unsuccessful delivery of application.
Course start date is tentative and subject to change.