Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation)
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 16 Mar 2021 (Tue)
- Next intake(s)
- Oct 2021
- 9 months
- Course Fee
(1) For admission details or placement test appointments, please contact Ms Jasmine Chiu (2975 5880) / Ms Christy Chung (2975 5695);
(2) Please note the application deadline;
(3) Deadline for Early Bird Discount is Saturday 6 February 2021.
We thank you for your interest in SPACE Business English.
Business English Programme Team
The Programme aims to help students become more accurate and fluent when communicating in English in the workplace. Its goal is to equip students with essential business grammar and vocabulary so that they are confident when communicating with native and non-native speakers of English in their workplace.
This 30-credit programme comprises one single module with 90-hour face-to-face lecture hours and a compulsory e-learning component. Students should spend additional time and efforts in completing the assigned E-learning activities.
Upon successful completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
- apply essential business grammar rules in speaking and writing;
- use appropriate business vocabulary and common phrases in communication;
- practise reading, listening comprehension and simple writing techniques using scenario-based tasks;
- present products and businesses using appropriate language; and
- write brief business correspondence and short survey reports.
Students who successfully pass* the programme are eligible to the Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation) awarded under the HKU System through HKU SPACE.
*By passing the programme, students have to meet the following:
- Attendance requirement: fulfil 70% of the total 90 face-to-face lecture hours; and
- Performance requirement: complete and attain 50% in of all assessment components.
In addition to face-to-face class lessons, students should take part in e-learning activities as self-study engagement. These e-learning activities are available on HKU SPACE Online Universal Learning (SOUL2.0) platform which include supplementary online tasks related to course book content (grammar and vocab quizzes, listening comprehension, etc). This helps lay a good language foundation.
The syllabus covers the following topics:
- Making presentations
- Asking for information
- Responding to requests
- Discussing business-related topics
- Describing changes
- Understanding people and businesses
- Comprehending business-related topics
- Conversations over the phone
- Conversations to persuade, promise and threaten in business situations
- Short survey reports
Course participants' progress are measured through a number of assessment components including:
- Student Participation
- Oral Presentation
- In-class Written Assessment
- Mid-term Test
- Individual Writing Portfolio
- Written Final Test
The above programme, syllabus and assessments are prepared by the HKU SPACE English Language Programme Team.
After the 90-hour training, students can progress to the Certificate in Business English course under which they are able to have very focused and much needed training in two major language areas:
- Modern Business Oral Skills
- Modern Business Writing Skills
After the two 45-hour Certificate in Business English courses, students generally continue to learn English leading them to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Business English award:
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english/business-english
Day / Time
16 Mar 2021 (Application deadline: 3 Mar 2021)
Tuesdays, 6:45 - 9:45 pm
|Room 803, Island East Campus|
Instructors of the courses are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language team. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes to Applicants
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- Contact hours: 90 (30 meetings x 3 hours)
- hold a Certificate in General English (Introductory) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- have gained the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in English Language;
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade E (Syllabus B) or Grade C (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 2 in English Language from 2007.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test. There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the module(s) of their choice. The test schedules for this intake are:
22 Jan 2021 (Friday) 7:00 pm
11 Jan 2021)
Fortress Tower Learning Centre, Fortress Hill, HK
* 6 Feb 2021 (Saturday)
10:30 am (Application deadline:
2 Feb at 11:55 pm)
For registration, please refer to Business English Day
Room 203, Admiralty Centre, Admiralty, HK
*Enrol on the same day and enjoy Fee Waiver. [Please prepare a cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE") for the Business English Entry Test Fee and bring it to the test venue on the test day. The Fee ($200) will be refunded to those who enrol into a Business English course on the same day (6 Feb 2021 ).]
Application forms for the Business English Entry Test are available from:
- any HKU SPACE enrolment centre
- HKU SPACE website
For progression to the next level, visit:
http://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/adv-dip-in-business-english ; and
- Early Bird Rate : HK$6,400 (For enrolment received on/before 6 Feb 2021.)
- Course Fee : HK$6,600 (Regular)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage|
|COURSE CODE 24C03327-6||FEES $6,600 (regular) or $6,400 (for early enrolment)||ENQUIRY 2975-5880|
Continuing Education Fund
The Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation) programme is registered with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) as a CEF reimbursable course.
Full details of the reimbursement requirements can be found on: http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation)
Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage
1. Cash, EPS Or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate in Business English Diploma in Business English Advanced Diploma in Business English Certificate in General English (Intermediate) Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Advanced) Diploma in General English