Life & Health SciencesSports, Exercise & Recreation
Certificate in Recreational Spa Management
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 14 Oct 2019 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- 8 months
- Course Fee
- HK$12,800 per programme
This programme is designed for people currently working within the spa industry, those who have responsibility for the management of spas or for those persons who aspire to work in this area of employment. The content will focus upon the skills needed for the effective administration, operation and promotion of high quality spas.
To provide individuals with an understanding of the:
1. Structure, services and products offered by range of spa providers in Hong Kong from stand alone day spas to international spa brands or hotel chains;
2. Commercial skills required and in particular budgeting skills;
3. Different types of facilities, equipment, health and safety issues associated with the operation of spas;
4. Skills required to plan and implement a successful spa promotion;
5. Principles concerning customer service and the elements involved in the provision of award winning customer oriented practice in the industry;
6. Knowledge of key spa industry benchmarks to support the effective supervision of facilities and human resources.
This programme will introduce to students the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge to be able to assist with the administration, operations and promotion of spas in the Hong Kong community. It will focus on:
- Spa management skills in relation to marketing, administration, supervision and finance;
- Conceptual and vocational skills related to the industry;
- Customer service, operations management and international Spa products and services;
Days / Time
- Mon, Wed, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
1. GLOBAL SPA INDUSTRY
Introduced to the global spa industry and the various components of the industry with the latest research and data on the developments and latest trends within the spa Industry. Factors affecting participation, structure of the industry and the products and services available are considered. Spa designs, facilities, trends, impacts and strategies in relation to spa, wellness and leisure will be introduced to provide an understanding of the impact Spas have on society.
2. SPA COMMERCIAL OPERATION
Students will be introduced to the basic spa operations, its size, manpower requirement and how the business runs. Basic spa financials and inventory management will be addressed together with the role of cash flow management and cash budgeting.
3. SPA FACILITIES, EQUIPMENT AND SAFETY
The module outlines different types of spa facilities and equipment, and provides an understanding of the operations of a facility in a safe, efficient and effective way. Students will examine issues specific to health, safety and security including knowledge of how to access local ordinance regulations and procedures to ensure a safe environment.
4. MARKETING: SALES AND PROMOTION
This module introduces target marketing and its link with the customer. It focuses on the 7 P’s of service marketing that includes promotion, price, product, place and the peripheral p’s. Emphasis will be placed on the promotional mix and key promotional techniques used in spa’s including the effective print and online material, the role of leaflets and brochures, the benefits of advertising and the importance of selling skills when promoting products or services.
5. CUSTOMER SERVICE: TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Students will be provided with an understanding of the diverse nature of the provision of customer service within spa facilities. The service industry will be explored and the vital focus of customer experience and style in the success of any spa product or venue will be developed. The principles of customer service and practice, customer service quality will be examined in depth.
6. BENCHMARKING SPA OPERATIONS
Develops and explores the main issues associated with the supervision of operational areas such as front desks, salons, gyms, pools, massage, beauty treatment areas and resources in the industry by benchmarking with organisations known for their excellent practice in spa operations.
Evening: 7:00 - 10:00pm (9 meetings) for each module ; programme can be completed in 8 months
a) have completed HKCEE Curriculum or Senior Secondary Curriculum or equivalent; AND
b) provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
i) HKCEE English Language at Grade E or above ( obtained before 2007 ); or
ii) HKCEE English language at Level 2 or above ( obtained in or after 2007); or
iii) HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 2 or above; or
iv) equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
- Course Fee : HK$12,800 per programme
Upon completion of this programme students, who achieve an average mark of 60% or higher and who can fulfill the English entry requirement, may be considered for the Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.