Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 20 Mar 2021 (Sat)
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
- HK$7000 per module
This module is designed to provide an overview of the accounting and tax aspects with issues encountered in the merger and acquisition exercises nowadays and the related due diligence process.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
|Start Date||20 Mar 2021 (Sat)|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 2:00pm - 8:00pm.
- 30 hours per module
- 5 meeting(s)
- 6 hours per meeting
- Fortress Tower Learning Centre
- HK Island Campus
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A (Course content)
This course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the accounting and tax aspects of the M&A process. Topics include accounting for M&A with respect to consolidation, assessing value of assets and liabilities of M&A. Other major topics include tax planning and foreign exchange impact on M&A with particular reference to cross-border transactions.
Lecturer: Dr. Victor Yeung
Dr. Yeung is a Fellowship Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) and an Associate Member of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. He has over 10 years experience in audit and tax advisory with Big Four accountancy firms in London and Hong Kong. In addition, he has also dealt with businesses across Asia and handled IPO process in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. He has solid experience with Blue Chip Company handling Strategic Planning & Development as well as M&A deals in Europe and Asia with deals size over HK$ 10 billion. At present he is a senior management of an investment brokerage group and acts as director for various non-profit organizations and a mentor for university students. He is a committee member of the Financial Service Interest Group in HKICPA and regularly publishes articles on worldwide financial markets in local newspaper.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- evaluate and conduct due diligence process in M&A transaction;
- critically analyse accounting methods in M&A;
- assess value of assets and liabilities of M&A;
- critically analyse tax planning and foreign exchange impact in M&A with particular reference to cross-border transaction.
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
|Lecture 1||20-3-2021||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 2||27-3-2021||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 3||10-4-2021||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 4||17-4-2021||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 5||24-4-2021||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least 3 years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$7000 per module (Course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicant should submit the following:
1. Application form
2. Course fee HK$6350
3. Copy of academic/ professional qualification
4. HKID copyPayment Method
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.