BusinessFinance and Investment
Executive Certificate in Big Data, Governance and Compliance
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 05 Jul 2018 (Thu)
- 3 months
- Course Fee
- HK$6000 per programme
Executive Certificate in Big Data, Governance and Compliance aims to provide students with an overview in Big Data potentials, fraud detection and prevention for corporates, banking and financial services.
"Think BIG DATA, Think HKU SPACE"
The programme contents cover challenges and limitations in using Big Data in business. Key concepts include Big Data governance and compliance regulatory requirement, best practices in data protection and risk management. Case studies will be used to explain the importance of fraud detection and prevention in reducing company losses. Case studies emphasis will be in banking and financial services sector.
HSBC hired an analytics expert to shape up its compliance team by efinancialcareers
分業監管礙金融科技 by appledaily
BIG DATA ANALYSIS AND ITS NEED FOR EFFECTIVE E-GOVERNANCE International Journal of Innovations & Advancement in Computer Science
Tips to reducing big data compliance risks by TechRepublic
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. examine the Big Data handling process with ethical issues of Big Data collection and privacy protection within the financial services;
2. discuss the Big Data governance as a corporate governance imperative;
3. discuss the Big Data challenges and opportunities in banking and financial services;
4. evaluate the risk and challenges in real life case studies of handling Big Data fraud detection and prevention;
5. leverage current technology and Big Data to enhance governance and compliance;
6. develop a privacy framework to protect privacy information from Big Data.
|Application Code||1635-EP106A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- 10 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
1. What is Big Data?
2. Big Data processing chain
- Data, database, data warehouse, data mining, data visualization
3. Defining Big Data – volume; velocity; variety; variability and veracity
4. Big Data landscape
5. Business and Technology implications of Big Data
6. Management and Storage of Big Data – cloud storage
7. Business Challenges and Big Data Opportunities in Financial Services and Banking:
- Key business challenges
- How can the financial services industry use Big Data?
A. Asset Management Banking
i) Potential of Bank Customer Data:
- Customer Analytics: Customer segmentation for banking needs
- Personalized financial products offering
ii) How can Banks realize greater value from customer data?
iii) How can Banks scale-up to next level of customer data analytics?
iv) How Big Data transforms Banking and Financial Services?
v) Limitations for Banks to exploit Big Data
C. Capital Markets
- Enterprise modelling platform
- Risk and capital management
- Wealth management
- Improving customer intimacy
- Improving fraud detection
8. Fraud detection and security
- Fraud Detection Techniques with Predictive Analytics
- Best practices for implementing Big Data for fraud prevention
- How Big Data analytics enhances monitoring performance and enables quicker decisions in detecting suspicious behavior, uncovering threats and vulnerabilities, preventing security incidents, and backing up forensic analyses
- Risk Prediction
- Corporate Fraud detection and prevention
Cases: Preventing Health Care Fraud with Big Data and Analytics/ Insurance claims; Fraud monitoring and fraud risk management case: Big Data based fraud risk management at Alibaba
9. Data Protection in the era of Big Data and the responsibility of information governance and compliance from a privacy prospective:
- Potential challenges in the staggered data
- Volume and sensitivity of data sets
- Maximize potential of Big Data and protects privacy of consumers
- Ambiguous data collection
- Unauthorized sharing and unexpected uses of data
- Heightened security risks
- Potential for discrimination
- Privacy framework with appropriate approach to notice and consent
- Ethical and fair usage of Big Data to achieve value based innovation
- Compliance and regulatory reporting
(1) Prof. Stephen Ng is a seasoned senior executive of InternetTelco MNC, Digital Agency & ICT Startups. Educator, Trainer, Innovative Strategist for Financial Instituions, NGO, governments and various companies.
Invited Guest Lecturer on Strategic Management for Plymouth University and External Examiner for Master Degree of Business & Financial Studies of Edinburg Napier University, U.K. As well Guest Lecturerer in University of Hong Kong SPACE on Big Data Security, Compliance & Governance over 3 years. Qualified QF6 licenced bankers CPD program developer and conductor for Hong Kong Institute of Bankers. Certified Senior Consultant and Trainer of Trainers of Hong Kong Productivity Council. Member of Internet Society HK Chapter, Associate Fellow of Institute of Management, Australia etc. Prof. Ng is well versed and equipped with latest techniques in Machine Learning, Security & Defense Strategy.
Successfully developed strategies, enhanced serveral deluxe and global brands, attained best practices particularly on Information and Human Factors Interfaces, market leading with outstanding awards-winning recognitions in local and the region. Launched the first broadband, 3G, 4G, location based AR Game, WebTV and various applications, Mobile Shop, Social Media Games, Big Data Analytics on Weather and Social Security Controls so on in the region.
(2) Ms. Queenie Lee is a seasoned and all rounded professional with expertise in project management, cybersecurity, risk and compliance in AML/CTF, big data, financial innovation, knowledge transfer, investment, entrepreneurship, STEAM, etc.
She helped organized or served as a proctor/facilitator in several international, regional and university level academic competitions in Mathematical Olympiad, Mathematical Modelling, Mathematics Festival, rapid mathematics calculation and university mathematics competition.
She is currently a project consultant with practical experience in theoretical AI and Fintech (Algorithmic Trading, blockchain, AI and big data) in a famous university. Also, she is actively engaging in project consultation; serving as a specialist; teaching and research in tertiary education institutions or international and local NGOs for several years. As she has strong interests in legal studies and compliance and security issues in AI, she would like to share her experience in governance and compliance practically.
Assessment method: class participation + assignment
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
July 2018 Intake (M19024 & W51111)
|Lecture 1||5 Jul 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 2||12 Jul 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 3||19 Jul 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 4||26 Jul 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 5||2 Aug 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 6||9 Aug 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 7||16 Aug 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 8||23 Aug 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 9||30 Aug 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
|Lecture 10||6 Sep 2018 (Thu)||TBC||19:00 - 22:00|
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$6000 per programme
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or MasterCard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
A. In person or by post
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment (for the course/programme has online enrolment only)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.