Business & Management Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship
Executive Certificate in Effective Fund Pitching and Business Planning
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 06 Jan 2022 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- Jul 2022
- 3 months
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
- HK$7,200 per programme
In view of limited funding available in the market, from the government or private venture capital, developing a feasible and appealing business plan as well as good pitching skills are more important than ever to win funding and sponsorship. This executive certificate helps entrepreneurs, SME owners, corporate project managers, and change-makers refine and differentiate their business plans to increase the chance of success in these turbulent times.
This programme aims to:
- equip participants with fundamental business and entrepreneurship knowledge.
- equip participants with fundamental rational skills in thinking, decision making, potential problem analysis and solving in dealing with small business start-up at both planning and implementing stage.
- coach and teach participants the knowledge and technique in preparation of a business plan for a small business start-up funding.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Set the criteria and prioritize weight options for decision analysis;
- Identify potential problems and proactive measures to increase success rates;
- Apply the skills of simple zero-budget market studies, product pricing and promotion, and cash flow management;
- Examine and apply key elements in the business plan for fund pitching; and
- Develop a simple business plan demonstrating viability.
- Corporate/innovation project leaders
- Entrepreneurs, Startups, and entrepreneurs-to-be
- Game changers
- Project managers
- SME owners
- NGO and non-profit organisations executives
1. Mr James Cheng, Investment director, China Everbright Limited
James assists entrepreneurs in Greater China and SE Asia in transforming good business ideas into better investment opportunities. Having his full-time job in private equity, heavily involved in investment decision-making and value-add, he assists individual entrepreneurs in turning business ideas into investable plans, with his understanding on how businesses are assessed and valued by investors. He also helps baffled entrepreneurs in linking financial and other numbers with business performance, bridging commercial consensus and legal agreements, and most importantly, connecting entrepreneurs with investors.
He is currently a part-time lecturer of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Specialism of HKU SPACE Preparatory courses for University of London (Queen Mary)’s Global MBA programme. Apart from assisting startups, James runs his machine learning projects on various topics of personal interest. He is a certified public accountant in Hong Kong and a CFA charter holder.
2. Mr Brian Tsui, Partner, Cataliize
Through human and financial capital, Brian empowers founders to navigate the stage where most startups fail: when a locally validated idea goes global. His international career stands at the intersection of entrepreneurship and management consulting. He has spent over a decade leading at a global consultancy: launching and managing a corporate finance practice in Southeast Asia and a financial institution practice in the US, helping C-suite executives at the most complex companies embrace, invest in, and integrate emerging technologies.
As an early-stage tech investor, Brian co-founded the Chicago Booth Angels Network of Hong Kong and the Greater Bay Area and is a venture partner of AngelHub. He is mentor and judge at various startup competitions. He is the Asia co-chair of the University of Chicago’s top-ranked global accelerator. He has shared his favorite topic “what’s missing in your perfect pitch?” with 1,000+ founders, intrapreneurs, and university students. The annual BóLè Forum, which Brian organizes, is attended by 200+ angel investors, VCs and family offices.
Brian holds a BA from the University of Michigan and an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. He serves on the leadership committees of the UChicago Alumni Club, Chicago Booth Alumni Club, and Chicago Economics Society, in Hong Kong. He is also a business advisor to Junior Achievement Hong Kong.
Jan - Mar 2022
Days / Time
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
1. Entrepreneurship Know-how and New Venture Application
2. Screening a Marketable Business Plan
3. Application of Winning Strategy
4. Ganishing Presentation Skills
- Students are highly encouraged to bring their own business ideas they are working on (or will pursue in foreseeable future) for open discussions throughout the course. Students without a project will work on a personalized business idea provided by the instructors for this workshop’s purpose.
- Guest speakers will be invited if appropriate.
- 15-minute Individual Business Plan Presentation (80%);
- Written Business Plan in 800 words (20%)
Certificate will be awarded to students who have successfully satisfied assessments and attendance requirements (70%).
(i) hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university or equivalent; or
(ii) hold an Associate Degree / a Higher Diploma or equivalent and have at least 2 years of work experience.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- Course Fee : HK$7,200 per programme
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Preparatory Courses for University of London (Queen Mary) Global MBA Executive Certificate in Start-Up Formula Executive Certificate in Intellectual Property Asset Management Executive Certificate in B2B Market and Innovation Strategy Executive Certificate in Collaborative Innovation Management Executive Workshop “The Magic of Storytelling Skills with Data”