Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 14 Mar 2019 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- 9 months
- Course Fee
(1) For admission details or placement test appointments, please contact Ms Jasmine Chiu (2975 5880) / Ms Christy Chung (2975 5695);
We thank you for your interest in SPACE Business English.
Business English Programme Team
This programme provides students with ample practice to become more fluent and confident when communicating in English in business contexts.
The objectives are to:
- equip students with essential business grammar and vocabulary;
- learn through scenario-based practice in listening, speaking, reading and writing activities commonly found in business settings;
- build confidence when speaking, writing and presenting in English; and
- improve their business English language proficiency
After the 90-hour training, students can progress to the Certificate in Business English course under which they are able to have very focused and much needed training in two major language areas:
- Modern Business Oral Skills
- Modern Business Writing Skills
After the two 45-hour Certificate in Business English courses, students generally continue to learn English leading them to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Business English award:
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english/business-english
Day / Time
14 Mar 2019
6:45 - 9:45 pm
Room 1502, Island East Campus, North Point
Instructors of the courses are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language team. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes to Applicants
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- Contact hours: 90 (30 meetings x 3 hours)
- hold a Certificate in General English (Introductory) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- have gained the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in English Language;
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade E (Syllabus B) or Grade C (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 2 in English Language from 2007.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test. There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the module(s) of their choice. The test schedules for this intake are:
*26 January 2019 (Saturday)
For registration, please refer to Business English Day
Room 306, Admiralty Centre, Admiralty
22 February 2019 (Friday)
Room 1408, Fortress Tower, North Point
*Enrol on the same day and enjoy Fee Waiver.
[Please pay the Business English Entry Test Fee in cheque (payable to "HKUSPACE"). The Fee ($200) will be refunded to those who enrol into a Business English course on the same day (26 Jan 2019).]
Application forms for the Business English Entry Test are available from:
- any HKU SPACE enrolment centre
- HKU SPACE website
- Early Bird Rate : HK$6,300 (For enrolment received on/before 19 Feb 2019.)
- Course Fee : HK$6,500 (Regular)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage|
|COURSE CODE 24C03327-6||FEES $6,500 (regular) or $6,300 (for early enrolment)||ENQUIRY 2975-5880|
Continuing Education Fund
The Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage programme is registered with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) as a CEF reimbursable course.
Eligible applicants can claim a refund of 80% of their fees, up to a maximum of $10,000.
To be eligible for CEF reimbursement, applicants must:
- register with The Office of the Continuing Education Fund before the start of the course;
- fulfil the 70% attendance requirement;
- pass the course successfully;
- pass a recognised English language benchmark test, that is, the BULATS Test, at the stipulated proficiency level.
Application forms and full details of the reimbursement requirements can be found on: http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/
|Continuing Education Fund
This programme has been included in the list of CEF reimbursable programmes. Application for CEF has to be made before commencement of the programme.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate in Business English Diploma in Business English Advanced Diploma in Business English Certificate in General English (Intermediate) Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Advanced) Diploma in General English