Marketing & HospitalityHospitality, Tourism & Events
Intermediate Wines and Spirits
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 9 weeks
- English/Cantonese supplemented with English
- Course Fee
- HK$9,000 per programme
This course introduces major styles, reviews wines from different regions and critically discusses various grape varieties. It is suitable for those who have little or no previous knowledge of the broad range of wines and spirits.
Demand for high quality hospitality calibers has been escalating. The ever-increasing expectation for quality services and the more sophisticated customers also intensified the demand for knowledgeable service providers.
Intermediate Wines and Spirits is a programme specifically designed for industry practitioners and wine hobbyists. The objectives are to provide students with the most up-to-date and professional wine knowledge. This course introduces major styles, reviews wines from different regions and critically discusses various grape varieties. This programme adopts the materials and curriculum of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) and the classes are taught by WSET approved educators. Students who successfully complete the programme and pass the exam can gain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits.
Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET)
WSET was founded in 1969 to provide high quality education and training in wines and spirits. Since then, WSET has grown into the foremost international body in the field of wines and spirits education, with a suite of sought-after qualifications. WSET qualifications are recognised internationally and are now represented in over 70 countries through the world. WSET Award is accredited as an awarding body by Ofqual (UK Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation) and operates under ISO 9001:2008 for the management of awards for qualifications and examinations in the product knowledge and tasting competence of alcoholic beverages. For details regarding WSET, please visit http://www.wsetglobal.com/.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Our wine courses are taught by qualified wine professionals who are also experienced in wine education.
- Our wine courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All wines are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized wine suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
- All wines are tasted according to WSET requirements as benchmarks samples from around the world.
- Small class-size in all wine courses brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
what will you learn?
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- intepret the labels of the major wines and spirits of the world;
- give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service; and
- understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
Introduction to Tasting Technique
Food and Wine Pairing and Social Responsibility
Factors Influencing the Style, Quality and Price of Wine, Wine Label
Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc
Syrah, Grenache and Riesling
Other White Grape Varieties and White Wines
Other Black Grape Varieties and Red Wines
Sweet Wines, Fortified Wines and Spirits
WSET Level 2 Examination (1 hour)
- 4-8 wine or spirit samples will be normally provided for tasting in each session
OUR WINE TUTORS
Mr. Chris So
Chris has great passion in wine and has been teaching about wine for the past 8 years. To endeavor professional and highest wine knowledge, he is studying the Master of Wine (MW) Programme after gaining the WSET Level 4 Diploma. Chris passed the MW practical tasting papers on his first attempt in 2012 and is now on the final stage working on his MW Research Paper. Chris is also a WSET Certified Educator, a member of Greater China Wine Critics Association, an associate member of the Institute of Wines and Spirits (AIWS) and a judge member of The Hong Kong Wine Judges Association.
Chris is a judge for the “Decanter Asia Wine Awards", "Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition” and “Everyday Bordeaux”. To strengthen his wine knowledge, Chris has travelled extensively to all major wine regions around the world including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Japan and China.
Mr. Raymond So
Mr Raymond So is engaged in the banking industry. He teaches wine studies as the pursuit of his ardent interest. He holds the Diploma in Wines and Spirits issued by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET). Mr So is currently an Associate of the Institute of Wine and Spirit and a WSET Certified Educator. He has over 10 years’ experience in wine tasting. He is experienced in leading tasting discussion for inspiring students to structurally step into the wide wine world. Mr So also loves to share his experience in picking appropriate wines for fitting the banquet need of business entertainment.
Mr. Ron Taylor
Ron, born in Scotland and a resident of Hong Kong, has been studying wine & spirits for over 30 years and lecturing for at least 12 of those years.
A Certified Educator of the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), Associate of the Institute of Wine & Spirits (AIWS), a Certified Sommelier from the Court of Master Sommeliers, Certified Wine Specialist and member of the Society of Wine Educators, Member of the Association of Wine Educators, Guild of Sommeliers and the Hong Kong Wine Society.
He has taught consumers, the F&B industry and staff of leading Hong Kong wine companies in both WSET courses and bespoke material.
Ms. Jennifer Luk
Passionate about wines, Jennifer has been working as wine event organiser and wine consultant and experienced in wine education. Focused on innovation and experiential learning, she hosts Hong Kong’s only wine tasting in complete darkness - ‘Wine Tasting in the Dark’ - to bring completely new and unique experience to wine lovers and wine learners.
Jennifer attained sommelier introductory certification from Court of Master Sommelier and Advanced Certificate from WSET. In 2010, she was awarded the WSET/Wine Australia Travel Scholarship, as the only representative from China, Hong Kong and Macau to attend master-class in Australia. She is also a freelance wine & travel columnist for various media corporations. In recent years, she has fallen in love with running marathon in wine regions - a special way to broaden her wine traveller experience.
Students have to take an external examination after completion of the programme. This paper consists of 50 multiple choice questions. The exam paper and marking arrangement are arranged by WSET.
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits will be issued to students who pass the exam. Certificate of Achievement of HKU SPACE will be issued to students who have 70% attendance and obtained the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits.
Date and Time
(Medium of Instruction)
30 September 2019;
14, 21, 28 October 2019;
4, 11, 18, 25 November 2019
(Cantonese supplemented with English)
2 December 2019 (7:00pm-8:00pm)
|25 September 2019|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- 8 session(s)
- 3 hours per session
Island East Campus
IEC901 (Wine Room)
- Be aged 18 or above;
Do not suffer from any health problems that are unfit for tasting wine in the class.
There is no academic prerequisite for this programme.
- Course Fee : HK$9,000 per programme (Inclusive of WSET Study Pack in English, around 50 wines for tasting and WSET Examination fee)
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.