Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
This module is designed to provide students with an understanding of the processes involved in structuring and executing IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Fund transactions. Topics include: a review of the bookbuilding and underwriting processes, case studies of IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Fund transactions, as well as legal and regulatory issues related to IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
(1) 摩通料今年港IPO海嘯後最火熱 《信報財經新聞》
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
- 30 hours per module
- United Learning Centre
- HK Island
IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
This course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the processes involved in structuring and executing IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Fund transactions. Topics include: a review of the bookbuilding and underwriting processes, case studies of IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Fund transactions, as well as legal and regulatory issues related to IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds.
The Course Objectives are:
- To equip students with an understanding of the processes involved in structuring and executing IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds transactions;
- To review the bookbuilding and underwriting processes;
- To analyze IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds transactions through the use of case studies;
- To review the legal and regulatory issues related to IPO, Private Equity and Hedge Funds.
- To gain a user and investor’s perspective on hedge funds, venture capital and private equity structures: how they are created, used and abused in the current economic markets.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Identify, implement and evaluate strategies for the resolution of problems
- Critical and Creative Thinking in Problem Solving
- Team Building and Project Management Skills
(1) Mr. Archie Fong
An experienced investment banker and angel investor, currently holds title as General Manager of First Capital International Finance (a member of First Capital Group 1269.HK). He has expertise in direct investment, IPOs, M&As, financial advisory, restructuring and equity fund raising with accumulative transaction amounts over US70 billion and assisted BOCI in securing IPO fund-raising ranking No.1 in HK and the world.
Prior to joining First Capital Group, he was formerly the responsible officer and sponsor principal of BOCI Asia Limited (wholly owned investment bank of Bank of China Group). He gained experience from Ernst & Young, HSBC Securities, ICEA Capital, BNP Paribas Peregrine and management role in Hong Kong listed China Zenith Chemical, accumulated over 17 years of experience in investment banking, direct investment, accounting, corporate management and investor relationship areas.
He received a bachelor degree with honour in Actuarial Sciences from The University of Hong Kong and awarded with the Hong Kong Bank Foundation Bursary (HSBC). He is a Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountant and also serves the following posts:
-Council member for Unleash Foundation
-Venture Partner of Hai Hong Cultural Industry Fund (expected to be launched in 2H17)
-Proposed director and chairman of the policy affair committee for Hong Kong Chief Officer’s Association
-Mentor of SME Programme of Trade and Industry Department of HKSAR government
-Honorary advisor of HKUSU Investment Society
-Part-time lecturer for HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
-Committee member for Angel Investment Committee and China Committee of British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
-Committee member for Financial & Treasury Services, China, Asia and Africa Committee of Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
(2) Mr. Jason Fong
Mr. Fong is a seasoned investment professional who has experience in ventures, MNCs, and private equity firm and managed projects of initial public offering, merger and acquisition, financial advisory, restructuring, direct investment, debt fund raising, and equity fund raising.
He earned a M.S. in engineering enterprise management from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, a M.S.Sc in corporate communication from Chinese University of Hong Kong, and a B.S. degree summa cum laude in business administration from San Francisco State University. He is a chartered financial analyst, financial risk manager and project management professional.
IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least three years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$6350 (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
*HKU SPACE MasterCard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
A. In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Coourse fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Investment Management