Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesAdvanced Technology & Computing
MSc Cyber Security
- Awarded by
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 24 months
- Course Fee
The programme aims to provide students with the skills to design, implement and manage computer-based systems security, using software and networking technologies.
The programme also includes the basic, key elements of forensic computing: forensics and the legal and ethical issues involved in any digital investigation.
- Understand the core security principles that arise in the design, analysis, and implementation of networked and distributed systems ;
- Have a systematic understanding of knowledge and a critical awareness of current problems relating to the field of network security and its deployment ;
- Evaluate, plan for, and utilise suitable network development tools in the deployment of secure networked systems ;
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of systematic methodologies for undertaking forensic Investigations ;
- Apply digital forensic principles and techniques on the investigation of systems ;
- Relate the results of an investigation to security measures that were taken during the design, development and implementation of systems ;
- Understand how integrate procedure, practice, and technology to deliver security in networked Systems;
- Perform the high-level design of secure computer networking applications ;
- Develop their understanding to cover the security of new and emerging kinds of network;
- Undertake fundamental research and development activity related to network and information security, and implement and evaluate such activity .
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
The entire MSc Cyber Security programme consists of 5 modules with a total of 180 credits pitching at HKQF Level 6 (FHEQ Level 7).
List of modules featured in the programme:
Advanced Computer Networks and Operating Systems
The unit covers advanced topics in computer networks and operating systems. It focuses on principles, architectures, and protocols used in modern large scale networked systems.
Introduction to Computer Forensics and Security
This unit will introduce both computer security and digital forensics concepts.
Advanced Network Security
This unit will provide student with the necessary skills to design and implement advanced security machanism in a network environment. It will look in depth in relation to wired and wirelss network secrity and the best practice in the field.
Cryptography & Encryption
The unit covers theoretical discussion of the key encryption algorithms: Diffie-Hellman, RSA, Digitial Signatures, modern symmetric cryptosystems DES and AES. Additionally we will code the algorithms and their variants in a modern programming language and implement cryptosystems over a computer network.
This is a 60 credits individual project. The project will involve practical system creation or experimentation work.
Graduates from HKU SPACE Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics will be granted an exemption of 30 credits from the following taught module:
- Introduction to Computer Forensics and Security
Graduates from HKU SPACE Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology will be granted an exemption of 60 credits from the following taught modules:
- Advanced Computer Networks and Operating Systems
- Advanced Network Security
- hold the Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- hold the Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- hold a second-class UK Honours degree (or international equivalent) in a computing-related subject
provide evidence of English proficiency if their bachelor degree is from a university where the teaching medium is not English, such as
- an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 575 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 230 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or MasterCard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or MasterCard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please aubmit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
MMU is a public university located in Manchester, which is one of the best student cities in the UK. It was established in 1970 as Manchester Polytechnic and gained university status in 1992. The university has 6 faculties, research centres across key disciplines and a range of departments, schools and professional support services that support the work of the university. The mission of the university is to discover and disseminate knowledge with a driving ambition, and make higher education accessible and beneficial to all.
- More Programmes of
- Advanced Technology & Computing