Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesAdvanced Technology & Computing
Professional Video Production - Final Cut Pro
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 03 Apr 2019 (Wed)
- 8 weeks
This course is designed to teach video editing skills for professional video production. This will help students learn how to become a pro-level user of Final Cut Pro.
The world of Final Cut Pro continues to grow at a phenomenal rate, with more than 1.3 million paid users and more than 200 partners offering compatible plug-ins, control surfaces, I/O devices, and integrated systems. In fact, a recent study identifies Apple as the market leader for post-production, with 50 percent of broadcast and post nonlinear editing purchases in 2008.
Final Cut Pro delivers high-performance nonlinear editing, with native support for virtually any video format, and has become the first choice of professional editors. Its workflow extends through the other Final Cut Studio applications as well as the Final Cut Server, which is used by post-production workgroups for asset management and workflow automation.
It is designed to teach video editing skills for professional video production. This will help students learn how to become a pro-level user of Final Cut Pro. Key topics include essential editing techniques, effects, color correction, titling with Motion as well as output difference video formats with Compressor.
Session 1 Getting Started 2 hours
- Hardware and Software Requirement
- Video Formats
- Initial Setup
- Working with the Interface
- Understanding Projects, Bins, Timeline
- Capturing and Transferring
Session 2 Basic Editing I 2 hours
- Essential Editing Tools
- Insert and Overwrite Editing
- Three-Point Editing
- Drag-and–Drop Editing
- Copying, Cutting, Pasting and Positioning
- Match Frame Editing
Session 3 Basic Editing II 2 hours
- Understanding Trimming
- Rippling Edit Points
- Rolling Two Edit Points
- Sliding Clips to Refine Position
Session 4 Applying Effects 2 hours
- Working with Transitions
- Working with Filters
- Changing Motion Properties
- Using Speed Tools
- Animated Type Effects
Session 5 Compositing and Color Correcting 2 hours
- Working with Multiple Tracks
- Composting Modes
- Travel Mattes
- Evaluating Video Images
- Color Balancing a Scene
- Making Visual Comparisons
- Primary Color Correction
- Understanding the Color Wheel
Session 6 Audio Editing 2 hours
- Adjusting Audio Levels
- Working with Audio Filters
- Adding Sound Fades
- Adjusting Audio Keyframes
- Adding Audio Tracks
- Mixing Audio Tracks
Session 7 Media Managing and Exporting 2 hours
- Overview of the Media Manager
- Working with Master and Affiliate Clips
- Reconnecting Clips and Offline Media
- Understanding Codecs and Encoding
- Exporting a QuickTime Movie
- Using Other Export Options
- Outputting to Tape
- Working with Compressor
- Working with DVD Studio Pro
Session 8 Working with Motion and Soundtrack Pro 2 hours
- Using Motion to Create Advanced Motion Graphics
- Using Soundtrack Pro for Advanced Sound Editing
- Student will receive notification and timetable 2 weeks before class commence.
- Mac computers will be used during lessons.
- HKU SPACE reserves the right to make changes on the timetable if necessary.
- HKU SPACE reserves the right to cancel a course in case of insufficient enrollment or unforeseen difficulties arising from running the course.
|Application Code||1680-1566NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||03 Apr 2019 (Wed)|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 8:00pm - 10:00pm.
- 8 workshops, 16 hours
Applicants who are interested in professional video editing and knowledge using Final Cut Pro.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or MasterCard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or MasterCard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please aubmit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.