Professional Written Communication Skills
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 12 Mar 2020 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- Sep 2020
- 20 weeks
- Course Fee
- HK$6,400 per module
Professional Written Communication Skills is one of the modules* leading to the SPACE Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Business English Award. The module helps working professionals communicate accurately and effectively in written English in various business contexts, by enabling them to:
• identify elements of good written communication demanded in different workplaces or industries;
• make use of good rhetoric, genre, design and visual presentation in a variety of professional writing situations; and
• apply principles of editing, revising and reflecting on one’s writings.
* The module can also be taken as an individual course with no obligation to complete the whole Diploma/Advanced Diploma programme.
Professional Written Communication Skills covers:
- Effective writing principles: Accuracy, coherence, clarity and conciseness
- Persuasive communication: Style, tone, image and impact
- Editing and proof-reading skills
Coursework is very individualised and students have to create a writing portfolio and discuss their writing development (improvement achieved during the course and plans for further improvement).
The portfolio is specially designed to help learners:
- Improve their writing for conciseness and clarity;
- Practise professional writing with a purpose: formal and informal correspondence
- Highlight the importance of accuracy, clarity, and the impact of good editing and finetuning skills; and
- Correct and avoid common business writing errors.
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Professional Written Communication Skills is one of the four modules* leading to the Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Business English Award.
*The four modules are:
- Professional Written Communication Skills
- Report Writing and Presentation Skills
- International Business Communication Skills
- Professional Business English Through Case Studies
Successful completion of all four modules leads to the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Business English.
Completion of any two of the four modules leads to the HKU SPACE Diploma in Business English Award.
Students can also take individual courses with no commitment to complete the whole programme.
APPLICANTS SHOULD NOTE:
The Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Business English is a module-based programme, offering flexibility to learners. Students will be awarded Diploma/Advanced Diploma depending on the number of modules successfully completed (See Awards).
Only FULL programmes are reimbursable under the CEF scheme. To be eligible to CEF reimbursements, students have to successfully complete a minimum of TWO modules under the Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Business English programme.
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
|Start Date||12 Mar 2020 (Thu)|
|Time||6:45 - 9:45 pm|
|Venue||Room 1304, HPSHCC Campus|
Days / Time
- Thursday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- 20 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Those holding the following do not have to take the entry test:
- HKU SPACE Diploma in General English; or
- HKU SPACE Certificate in Business English, with Merit (Credit) or above; or HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in General English, with Merit (Credit) or above; HKAL Use of English Grade D; or
- HKDSE in English Language Level 4 or above; or
- HKCEE English Language Grade C (Syllabus B)/Grade A (Syllabus A)/Level 4 or above; or
- IELTS 6.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merits.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test. There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the module(s) of their choice. The test schedules for this intake are:
17 Jan 2020 (Friday)
Room 1405, Fortress Tower Learning Centre
*8 Feb 2020 (Saturday)
For registration, please refer to Business English Day
Room 302, Admiralty Centre
*Enrol on the same day and enjoy Fee Waiver.
[Please pay the Business English Entry Test Fee by cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE"). The Fee ($200) will be refunded to those who enrol into a Business English course on the same day (8 Feb 2020).]
Application forms for the Business English Entry Test are available from:
- any HKU enrolment centre
- HKU SPACE website
- Course Fee : HK$6,400 per module (Regular)
- Early Bird Rate : HK$6,200 per module (For enrolment received on/before 18 Feb 2020)
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.