Web Publishing Policies
POLICY STATEMENT OF HKU SPACE WEBSITES
HKU SPACE (The School) recognises its websites as a key strategic resource for information provision, communication, publicity and administration. The School will ensure the proper use of the websites and the technologies in fulfilment of its missions.
The HKU SPACE websites are the property of the School. The School will not tolerate any acts of misuse of the websites, infringement of laws, or any attempts to abuse its network and systems to tamper with its normal operation. The School reserves the right to take appropriate legal action against any person who performs, directly or indirectly, such acts. Such persons will also be liable for any loss or damage caused by the probibited acts.
ROLE OF HKU SPACE WEBSITES
The HKU SPACE websites are intended for the following uses:
- Public access to the School information - to provide the most up-to-date information about the work, services and programme information of the School.
- Publicity and promotion - to provide a channel for the School to promote its programmes, services or events.
- Public and staff communication - to serve as a gateway for information dissemination, collection of feedback and enquiry, from the public as well as full-time and part-time staff.
- Administration and learning support services such as on-line application, enrolment, fee payment, library and e-learning services etc.
- Collection of statistics on web usage and users' opinion - to understand their needs for better services.
TYPES OF INFORMATION
Information published on the School's websites is deemed to be the official information about the School.
Pages introducing the background of staff members are intended to provide their contact information, research/academic interests, and other relevant information.
DISCLAIMER OF RESPONSIBILITY OF PUBLISHED INFORMATION
- While every effort is made to ensure the timeliness and accuracy, no express or implied warranty is given by the School as to the accuracy of the information published, or the proper transmission or display of the information on the intended receivers due to variations in information technology and data transmission standards.
- The School does not accept any responsibilities for any loss or damage arising from any cause of use in connection with its websites. It is also not liable for any malcontent of weblinks and webpages in the HKU SPACE websites.
The School will take into account the following legal considerations when publishing any materials on its websites.
The School will seek prior permission from the rightful owner when placing any copyrighted works, including weblinks, text, graphics, photographs, sound and video recordings on the School's websites.
By the same token, the School's websites are protected by copyright and any attempts to reproduce, link, publish, distribute or exploit materials in them, in whole or in part without prior written permission of the School, will be deemed to have infringed the School's copyright.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE POLICY
The School has set up a Web Editorial Board with delegated authority to enforce on behalf of the School its web publishing policy as embodied in this policy document. The School will change, revise or correct these policies from time to time, where appropriate. The Board reserves the right to take appropriate action under its relevant policies and procedures where breaches occur. These actions are subject to the sole discretion and final determination by the School and users shall raise no objection herein. If you have any queries on this policy, please contact us at WEB@hkuspace.hku.hk.
Last revised at September 2004