Life & Health Sciences Dietetics, Food & Nutrition
Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 23 Oct 2017 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- Jul 2018
- 5 months
- Course Fee
- $14,300 / $10,000 (Advanced Certificate with Module A exemption)
This programme is designed for individuals involved in sports and exercise to acquire a basic knowledge in sport nutrition to maximize their performance. It also provides continuing professional development for doctors specializing in sport medicine, trainers, coaches, physiotherapists, PE and sports teachers.
All students will initially enrol on the Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition programme and upon successful completion may enrol on the Advanced Diploma in Sport and Exercise Nutrition programme.
Module A: Basic Nutrition
- Introduction to nutrition
- Digestion, absorption, transport of nutrients
- Energy, protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals
- Nutrition throughout the lifecycle
- Nutritional analysis
- Nutrition policy and food labeling
- Introduction to food safety
Module B: Nutritional Requirements in Sport and Exercise
- Health benefits of exercise and fitness evaluation
- Training principles and techniques
- Energy metabolism and exercise
- Nutrition and nutrient requirements in exercise and sport
- Nutrition in overtraining and burnout
- Nutrition in blood formation, bone health and immunity
- Vegetarianism in exercise and sport
Module C: Nutrition Guidelines in Sport and Exercise
- Assessing body weight and body composition
- Managing body weight in sport
- Nutrition and the female athlete
- Nutrition and exercise for the active female during pregnancy and lactation Nutrition and exercise for child, adolescent and elderly
- Nutritional supplements and Chinese herbs and medicines in sport and exercise
Students with relevant nutrition background (e.g. holders of the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Nutrition or equivalent) may be exempted from Module A (Basic Nutrition), which will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Board of Selection.
Upon successful completion of Modules A-C, students will be awarded an Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition.
All students will initially enrol on the Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition progamme. Upon successful completion, they may enrol on the Advanced Diploma in Sport and Exercise Nutrition programme. There will be no time limit for students choosing to further their studies from the Advanced Certificate to the Advanced Diploma level.
Students who successfully complete the Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition together with Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management, Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology, Advanced Certificate in Food Science and either Advanced Diploma in Child and Adolescent Nutrition or Advanced Diploma in Nutrition and other bridging courses are eligible to apply for the entry into BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition extension programme offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the Ulster University, UK.Days / Time
- Monday 6:45 - 9:45pm
- Thursday 6:45 - 9:45pm; some Saturday afternoons
- Approx. 5 months
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point)
Applicants shall hold:
Students with no science background are recommended to take the HKU SPACE Human Biology and Organic Chemistry short course prior to commencing this programme Students should also consider taking the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology course.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- $14,300 / $10,000 (Advanced Certificate with Module A exemption)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition). OR
By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.