Technology, Engineering & SciencesEngineering
Advanced Diploma in Engineering
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 04 Sep 2017 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- to be advised
- 2 years to 3 years
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
This programme provides a good foundation concepts in engineering education and prepares students for further studies or acquiring practical knowledge and skills to pursue a career in engineering fields by offering two streams of studies:
- Electrical Engineering
- Building Services Technology
Opportunities for Further Studies
High calibre students can further their studies in Engineering at local or overseas universities after successfully completing this programme.
In 2013-14, around 30% of graduates gained admission to local part-time engineering degree programmes (e.g. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University). Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to the full-time and part-time top-up programme offered locally by the Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE - BEng (Hons) Engineering with Management.
The programme will be offered on a part-time basis and 3 trimesters will be allocated over each academic year. Each year 1 module will have 24 contact hours and be taught in 3 hours per week (i.e. total 8 weeks). For year 2 modules, there will be 30 contact hours per module and it will be taught in 3 hours per week (i.e. total 10 weeks). For year 3 modules, except the modules Project, and Engineering and Society, there will be 36 contact hours per module and it will be taught in 3 hours per week (i.e. total 12 weeks).
The language modules will be taught by face-to-face lectures, small group discussions, and case studies. For specialism modules, arrangement of teaching and learning approaches including face-to-face lectures, class discussions, group work, practical, site visit, field work, laboratory work, directed self-study and computer aided learning will be used for relevant technical modules, such as Computer Aided Design, Electrical and Electronic Principles, and Electromechanical Energy Conversion.Duration
- 3 years (If applicants are granted direct entry to Advanced Diploma in Engineering Year 2, the study duration is 2 years.)
- Any of the HKU SPACE Learning Centres on Hong Kong Island
The following table shows the modules to be contained in the programme:
|Basic Mathematics I
|Introduction to Engineering and Technology
|2||Technical English I
|Electric Circuit Analysis
|3||Basic Mathematics II#
Introduction to Engineering Mechanics
|2||4||Technical English II#
|Engineering Mathematics I
|Electrical and Electronic Principles
|5||Instrumentation and Measurements
|Computer System Principles
|Mechanical Systems Principles
|6||Engineering Mathematics II#
|3||Electrical Engineering Stream||Building Services Technology Stream|
|7||Computer Aided Design
|Electromechanical Energy Conversion
|Fire Protection, Plumbing and Drainage Systems
|Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC)
|Engineering and Society
|Electrical Services in Buildings
|Power Transmission and Distribution
|Electrical Energy Systems
|CAD for Building Services#
- Programme QF Level of Advanced Diploma in Engineering Year 1 and 2 is 3.
- Programme QF Level of Advanced Diploma in Engineering Year 3 is 4.
Students will be awarded Advanced Diploma in Engineering by completing all the 26 modules in 1-9 trimesters.
If the students would like to exit after completing the 17 modules in the 1-6 trimesters, students will be awarded Diploma in Engineering.
If the students would like to exit after completing the 8 modules in the 1-3 trimesters, students will be awarded Certificate in Engineering.
#Pre-requisite is required before attempting the module.
Classes will generally be held on either weekday evenings (7:15 - 10:15pm); or Saturday afternoons (2:30 - 5:30pm), or Saturday evenings (6:30 - 9:30pm); or Sunday mornings (10:00am - 1:00pm), or Sunday afternoons (2:30 - 5:30pm).
- Have gained in the HKDSE Level 2 or above in 5 subjects (including Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics [Core]); or
- Have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 3 subjects, and Level 2 in Chinese Language and English Language, or equivalent; or
- Have successfully completed the Yi Jin Programme or the Yi Jin Diploma; or
- Be aged at least 21 with 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Course Fee : HK$14,800 (Year 1; Fees will be paid annually in three instalments and are subject to annual revision.)
- Course Fee : HK$22,680 (Year 2; Fees will be paid annually in three instalments and are subject to annual revision.)
- Course Fee : HK$30,600 (Year 3; Fees will be paid annually in three instalments and are subject to annual revision.)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
(1) Applicants are required to
- apply online (by clicking on "Apply Now" button at the top of the programme website); AND
- submit original and copy of the below documents in person to any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres:
(i) HKID card;
(ii) Certified true copies of full educational certificates and transcripts;
(iii) Testimonials or other documentary proof of the applicant’s work experience (if any).
(2) Applicants can also
- apply in person by submitting the Application Form SF26; AND
- with original and copy of the above documents to any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
Applicants will be informed for the admission results after assessment.
- Applicants who have responded to the previous admission need not re-apply.
- HKU SPACE reserves the right to cancel a course in case of insufficient enrolment or unforeseen difficulties arising from running the course.
Accepted applicants will receive offer letter package and should bring along with offer letter and enrolment form when paying the course fees at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by crossed cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE". Please specify the programme title(s) for application, student's name, and student card number (if applicable).