Life & Health Sciences Medical Sciences
B.Sc.(Hons.) in Biological Science
- Awarded by
Edinburgh Napier University, UK
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 25 Sep 2017 (Mon)
- 2 years
This programme is for those with a background education in the biological sciences or medical laboratory science disciplines wishing to progress to degree or honours degree level. The programme provides students with a firm foundation in the biological sciences together with specialist knowledge in the area of biological testing including microbiology, biochemical and toxicological analyses. It will be taught through face-to-face lectures/tutorials, online tutorials and hands-on practicals.
This programme places an emphasis on practical skills, with laboratory classes included in several of the modules, and a research or work-related project. In addition to those general scientific skills, this programme is designed to develop for students a wide range of employability and transferable skills. It will equip students for any graduate level scientific job, and provide them with the specialist skills to go into a wide range of biological careers and contribute to their successful integration in employment in the biological science/life science sector.
Graduates may progress to programmes of study to masters and doctoral level. In addition to careers in the life sciences, students may use the wide range of employability skills they have developed to attain graduate level jobs in other sectors, e.g. administration, business and education. Graduates will also be considered for admission to the MSc Biomedical Science currently offered by Edinburgh Napier University in conjunction with HKU SPACE.
Mode of Delivery
This programme is delivered on a part-time basis. Normally classes will be held on weekday evenings and/or Saturdays. The medium of instruction is English.
The programme will be delivered in 3 trimesters per year, with 15 weeks in each. The course of studies for the BSc (Hons) can be achieved in 24 months. Students can complete the programme in 2 years (6 trimesters), part-time mode (2 modules / 40 credits per trimester).
Assessment of modules is normally based on a combination of coursework and examination. Coursework can include laboratory/project reports, tutorial exercises, laboratory performance, oral and poster presentation.
Students who have successfully completed the programme will be awarded Bachelor of Science (Honours) Biological Science degree by the Edinburgh Napier University. An exit award of BSc Biological Science ordinary degree is available for students who only study the first year of the programme (3 trimesters in 1 year).
Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
* Edinburgh Napier BSc graduates (60-credit top-up programme) wishing to attain BSc (Hons) will be given exemption credits based on their previous studies for Medical Microbiology or Introductory & Applied Molecular Genetics, Applied Immunology or Food Microbiology & Biotechnology, Scientific Communication – Dissertation & Statistics and, in some cases, Microbiology Testing.
Details of the course content, please refer to the leaflet.
Applicants shall have achieved either:
1. a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in a subject related to the biological sciences, for example
- Analytical Science and Technology
- Applied Biology/Biotechnology
- Biomedical Science
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Technology
- Food Science and Technology
- Medical and Health Products Management
- Pharmaceutical Technology
2. a Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science;
3. other equivalent qualications.
English language requirements
Students are expected to have achieved either:
i) AS-Level (or equivalent) pass in the Use of English;
ii) a minimum of a PASS in all English language/communication subjects as part of the Higher Certificate/Higher Diploma/Associate Degree programmes, plus HKDSE Level 2 pass in English Language.
Students with a BSc (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline will be considered for advanced entry to the BSc (Hons) programme. Exemption credits will be awarded on the basis of prior gained credit and possession of the prerequisite knowledge required to succeed on the programme.
- HK$77,000 (Subject to review) (Year 1)
- HK$85,000 (Subject to review) (Year 2)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit:
Duly completed HKU SPACE application form;
Copies of academic certificates and results slips;
A copy of HKID card or passport; and
An application fee of HK$150 (non-refundable) by crossed cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE".
Please make sure to pay sufficient postage for all mail items. The closing date for application is 12 May 2017.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
Located in Scotland's cosmopolitan and beautiful capital city, Edinburgh Napier University (ENU) is home to forward thinking people inspired by the world around them. ENU aims to create and support personalized learning and research opportunities that develop talent and solutions that really work and matter in today's and tomorrow's world. With more than 6,300 overseas students from outside the European Union, Edinburgh Napier is a truly international University with students from 110 countries. Edinburgh Napier is proud to be the largest UK provider of Higher Education in Hong Kong, with over 3,000 students a year studying a range of courses. In 2014 the University celebrated 20 years in Hong Kong.
ENU is in the top 20 in the UK for graduate employability, with 95.4% of undergraduates in further work or study within six months of graduating (HESA 2013). It also means that courses are accredited by over 100 Professional Bodies. ENU is also ranked the top UK Modern University for a number of courses such as Law, Engineering and English whilst our Building courses, Computer Science and Sociology all rank in the UK top 10 (Complete University Guide 2015, Times and Sunday Times 2015, and Guardian University Guide 2015).
- 95% of Edinburgh Napier's UK graduates are in work or further study six months after graduating (HESA 2014/2015).
- The UK's Telegraph newspaper listed Edinburgh Napier as one of the top twenty UK universities for 'getting a job' (2016). Ranked 1st in the UK for Value Added a measure of students' entry qualifications against the honours degree results they go on to achieve (Guardian University Guide 2017).
- In the 2016 QS Stars International University rankings, the quality of our teaching, internationalization and employability were all officially recognized, with the University scoring five stars in each category.
- More Programmes of
- Medical Sciences