Social Sciences Psychology & Counselling
In the post-VUCA era, the majority of the workforce is from Generation Z while others are from different generations. In order to engage the Millennium at work and achieve organisational goals more effectively, It is necessary for leaders to understand the beliefs, values, personalities and behaviours of young employees. This understanding will help leaders to be more analytical and able to predict the responses of employees in different situations. Leaders will be more able to influence employees, create a positive and innovate working environment, solve difficult problems, promote team work and facilitate organisational changes.
Who should attend
Middle to senior level executives in:
- Pursuing self-enhancement
- Leadership Position
- Learning and Development
- Human Resources Management
The programme aims to provide students with knowledge and skills in managerial psychology to work effectively within a diversity of interpersonal situations; provide students with a conceptual base from which they can identify and analyse behaviour; provide students with psychological-based approaches and tools to enhance leadership skills; and lead students to examine the potential benefits of new developments in managerial psychology.
The programme consists of 11 modules:
- Managerial Psychology: Theories and Application
- Cognitive Psychology and Decision Making
- Positive Psychology
- Diversity and Inclusion Management
- Behavioural Approach to Conflict Resolution
- Influence and Persuasion
- Leadership Psychology
- Employee Engagement and Organisational Effectiveness
- Psychology of Organisational Change
- Psychology of Innovation in Organsations
- Final Project
Upon completion of the above modules, students will be awarded within HKU System through HKU SPACE a Postgraduate Diploma in Managerial Psychology. Meanwhile, only one module will be offered each month.
Students who do not successfully complete the entire Postgraduate Diploma programme but have taken 6 modules (Modules 1, 3, 6-9) and achieved a minimum of 30 credits can be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Managerial Psychology upon the approval of the Board of Examiners. There is no direct entry to the Postgraduate Certificate in Managerial Psychology.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Apply effectively the different psychological approaches and synthesize them in understanding the interpersonal dynamics within organisations;
- Apply effectively concepts and theories of psychology in leading and managing individuals, teams and organisations;
- Critically assess the management issues of creating an organisational culture for innovation, change as well as inclusion and diversity;
- Apply a variety of psychological approaches to influence the stakeholders to drive consensus and change across different situations;
- Describe and identify the psychological concepts and theories in developing and shaping the organisational settings for employee’s well-being and engagement;
- Leverage advanced commercial knowledge to build positive internal and external relationships with different business partners and society.
Days / Time
- Sat - Sun, 9:00am - 7:00pm
Fee & Entry Requirements
(A) i. hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized institution; OR
ii. possess professional qualification(s) in relevant discipline plus five years of full-time work experience at senior managerial level.
(B) provide evidence of English proficiency (if the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English) such as:
i. an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
ii. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
iii. HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
iv. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
v. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$75,000
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please submit your application with all of the following documents to one of our enrolment centres in person or by post to the following address:
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
10/F., T. T. Tsui Building
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Attn: Ms. Yen Au
- Duly completed HKU SPACE application form (SF26);
- Copy of HKID Card#;
- Certified true copies of full educational certificates and transcripts;
- Testimonials or other documentary proof of the applicant’s work experience;
- A 500-word letter outlining the applicant's education, training and working experience, and saying how he/she would benefit from the programme;
- Resume; and
- A crossed cheque or bank draft of HK$150 made payable to "HKU SPACE" as application fee (non-refundable)
# To study in Hong Kong, all non-local applicants are required to obtain a student visa issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government, except for those admitted to Hong Kong for employment or as dependants, who do not need prior approval before taking up part-time studies. It is the responsibility of individual applicants to make appropriate visa arrangements. Holding an acceptance letter to a HKU SPACE academic programme/course does not guarantee the issue of a student visa.Payment Method
Applicants may also pay the tuition fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Psychology & Counselling