Social Sciences Media & Communication
- 可銜接海外學士學位課程 - 適合中學文憑試/毅進/中學會考畢業生或具同等學歷人士報讀 - 曾完成部分相關副學士或高級文憑的學生有機會獲得學分豁免，修讀較少科目及/或以較短時間完成課程 * Eligible to apply for overseas bachelor's degree programmes * For HKDSE/DYJ/HKCEE graduates or students with equivalent qualifications * Applicants who have completed relevant programmes from a recognised institution could be granted credit exemption
The programme aims to provide students with a multi-disciplinary approach to the study of communication and culture with an emphasis on media and cultural studies. More specifically, it trains the students to be critical consumers and ethical communicators through discussions that allow them to understand the power of both mediated and non-mediated communication in specific cultural contexts. The programme also addresses how existing and emerging forms of new media construct identities and shape lives by examining the relationship between communication and cultures.
QF Level: 4
QR Registration No.: 18/000891/L4
Validity Period: from 01 Mar 2019 to on-going
- The programme offers academic training for working adults with at least 2 years of work experience, and those who have Hong Kong Diploma in Secondary Education (HKDSE), Diploma Yi Jin (DYJ) or equivalent qualifications to fulfil their educational goals;
- Upon completion of the programme, students are academically prepared for entry to top-up degree programmes in communication and culture with credit exemption offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with overseas universities;
- This is a unique programme tailor-made for students who are interested in understanding how communication and media work particularly in Asian socio-cultural contexts, and how to produce writings for professional purposes such as public relations and advertising.
The entire programme consists of 10 modules. To complete the programme, students are required to achieve 80% attendance of all the modules and pass all the modules of the programme, normally in 20 months spanning across five semesters. The Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture (文化及傳播學高等文憑) will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE to those who have successfully completed the programme.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) of the Programme
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- apply communication theories, tools and techniques for various purposes in a variety of cultural contexts;
- identify and analyse the ways in which different media can influence representational, communicative and social practice, and the relation between media and forms of community in Asia;
- apply basic research methodologies to study about communication messages in political and cultural phenomena;
- identify and analyse various economic, social, political forces which have shaped the cultural development including the communication industry in Asia;
- evaluate primary academic writing associated with the communication discipline;
- examine and critique media arguments.
Critical Thinking and Effective Communication Skills
Introduction to Intercultural Communication
English for Academic and Professional Purposes
Researching Culture and Media
Understanding Media and Communication
Popular Culture and Everyday Life
Asian Societies: An Introduction
Media and Society in Contemporary China
Media, Culture and Identity
Professional Communication: Advertising and Public Relations
Introduction to New Media
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. The mother course (Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture) of this module is recognized under the Qualifications Framework (QF Level 4).
- Modules are 3-hour weekly lectures which include a variety of pedagogies such as discussion and class presentation in which students will be asked to form groups to discuss and/or debate an assigned topic and work on exercises and projects, allowing them to engage in peer learning, and to develop team-building and interpersonal skills. Students will be given the chance to integrate and apply the theoretical framework learnt in the corresponding module into practical works.
- Normally 7a will be offered. 7b will only be open as an option subject to sufficient number of enrolment.
- A wide variety of assessments include essays, presentations, individual/group projects, quizzes, examinations and class participation.
Relevant Programmes (for further studies)
|Apply Online Now
|Apply Online Now
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
(payable in 5 equal installments)
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in 5 subjects including English Language; OR
- have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 2 subjects including Use of English; OR
- have gained in the HKALE Grade E in Use of English, and have 2 years of relevant work experience in the communication or cultural industry; OR
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 4 subjects, and Level 2 in English Language, and have 2 years of relevant work experience in the communication or cultural industry; OR
- have a diploma in communication studies, cultural studies, media studies or language studies from a recognised institution, OR
- be a mature student of at least 21 years of age by the start date of the programme and have at least 2 years of work experience.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate a good command of English, in particular in writing and reading. They may be required to attend an English written test if necessary. Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
(Note: Students who barely meet the English Language requirement of the programme (HKDSE Examination Level 2 in English Language, HKALE Grade E in Use of English, or HKCEE Grade E in English Language) are required to take the additional practical English writing course in the first trimester of the programme.)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Critical Thinking and Effective Communication Skills (Module from Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture)
|COURSE CODE 40Z106008
|Researching Culture and Media (Module from Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture)
|COURSE CODE 40Z106016
|Understanding Media and Communication (Module from Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture)
|COURSE CODE 40Z106024
|Media, Culture and Identity (Module from Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture)
|COURSE CODE 40Z106032
Continuing Education Fund
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.