Social SciencesMedia & Communication
BA Mass Communications, Advertising & Public Relations
- Awarded by
Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 17 Feb 2021 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 14 months
- Course Fee
- Full Tuition Fee
Bridging Module Fee
HK$2,800 (for students without strong media/marketing/PR background)
Committed first and foremost to producing effective and reflective practitioners, this programme is contemporary and cutting edge, focusing on providing students with the knowledge both theoretically and practically to have a successful career in advertising, corporate/organisational communication, media relations, branding, employee communication, and PR. Students will develop an excellent understanding of communication, advertising and PR principles. Working both on their own and as part of a team, students will also gain transferable skills and develop their confidence in presenting work and ideas to their peers, lecturers and professionals in the industry.
- This programme has over 25 years of history in Scotland;
- A 14-month* intensive, professional training period in PR, branding and advertising ;
- Edinburgh Napier is ranked 23rd in the Guardian University League table 2019 in the area of Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations;
- Graduates of this programme satisfy the education requirement for Associate Membership in the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
(* 10 months for full-time mode)
Duration of Study
With full exemptions granted, students can complete the programme in 14 months (part-time).
The unique nature of this programme enables a range of teaching formats to be used. The formats include lectures, seminars, tutorials, practical workshops and consultation sessions.
Students are required to complete at least one group project, an individual assignment and/or an examination in each of the modules by demonstrating their critical understanding of the conceptual frameworks shaping advertising and public relations as forms of communication. In some modules, students are required to demonstrate their command of creative abilities by undertaking media presentations.
Upon successful completion, students will be awarded the BA Mass Communications, Advertising and Public Relations by Edinburgh Napier University.
Equipped with theoretical and practical knowledge of the communication industry, students of this programme will graduate with the relevant skills to enter fields such as advertising, corporate or organisational communications, marketing, public relations, brand and reputation marketing, internal and online communication and event management.
Qualifications from Edinburgh Napier University are recognised internationally, and graduates of the BA Mass Communications, Advertising and Public Relations are eligible to proceed onto Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) in Media and Cultural Critique, awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE or MA Media, Communications and Critical Practice in Hong Kong awarded by London College of Communication (LCC), University of the Arts London (UAL) and other local and overseas master's degree programmes.
- Advanced Diploma in Communication and Culture
- Postgraduate Diploma in Media and Cultural Critique
- MA Media, Communications and Critical Practice
|Application Code||1870-MC014A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Mon, Wed, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- United Learning Centre
- Note: Upon availability of classrooms, classes may be held in other learning centres.
The course is exempted from registration under the NLHPE Ordinance. The course operator is applying for the inclusion of part-time mode of the programme in compliance with the Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which these courses may lead.
There will be 3 trimesters, each comprising 14 teaching weeks. The entire programme consists of 6 modules:
|1||Feb - May 2021||
|2||Jun - Sep 2021||
|3||Sep 2021 - Jan 2022||
Note: The above programme structure is intended for use as a guideline to prospective students. The University reserves the right to modify the structure.
- Applicants shall
- hold an Associate Degree* in the area of Arts (e.g. Communication Studies, Media and Cultural Studies, Advertising and Creative Media, Corporate Communications and Management), or Applied Social Sciences (e.g. Public Relations and Journalism) with a minimum GPA of 2.0; or
- hold a Higher Diploma* in the area of Communication Studies, Media and Cultural Studies, Corporate Communications and Management or Public Relations and Journalism with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- Graduates of HKU SPACE Associate Degree/Higher Diploma awards, or an equivalent qualification from a recongised institution, are normally regarded as demonstrating the required English Proficiency. In other cases, IELTS 6.0 is required.
- Applicants with other qualifications (or partial completion from a recognized tertiary institution/a private university) that are fitting preparation for this programme can also apply.
* These may include, for example, Associate of Arts; Higher Diploma in Public Relations and Corporate Communications; Associate Degree/Higher Diploma in Business Administration; Higher Diploma in Translation and Interpretation; Associate of Applied Social Sciences in Communication, Public Relations and Journalism; and Associate Degree/Higher Diploma in Event Management/Tourism.
Sub-degree graduates without relevant academic background can still apply. They might be required to take one additional course (HK$2,800).
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Full Tuition Fee
Bridging Module Fee
HK$2,800 (for students without strong media/marketing/PR background)
Chartered Institute of Public Relations
Graduates of this programme satisfy the education requirement for Associate Membership of CIPR.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
Edinburgh Napier University (ENU) is one of the largest higher education institutions in Scotland with approximately 19,500 students studying professional and relevant courses at all levels of award. In 2015, Edinburgh Napier received a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education. This highly prestigious prize is granted biennially to universities and colleges demonstrating work of a world-class standard of excellence.
Edinburgh Napier University was rated top in the UK for adding value to students by the Guardian University Guide 2017. The University received five stars for teaching, employability and internationalisation from the prestigious QS Stars rankings. According to the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings (2019), ENU is placed in the top 200 of universities worldwide.
Edinburgh Napier’s reputation in the creative industries is forged by its dynamic programmes cultivating innovative and critical thinking in advertising, communication and PR, creative writing, design, film, journalism, music, publishing and television. Edinburgh Napier also offers Scotland’s longest running and most successful Mass Communications, Advertising & Public Relations programme.