Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
Health advice for entering the School Campus will be made from time to time. Please check HKU SPACE website regularly for updated information.
HKU SPACE 健康指引
This part-time programme aims to produce graduates who can critically review the processes and practices that are central to professions within sport management. It is designed to provide an academically and vocationally relevant curriculum that will stimulate students to become active learners, question existing practice and develop effective evaluative skills in a sport and recreation management setting.
The curriculum of the programme reflects staff expertise and research interests, key trends in associated national, international professional bodies and current sport policy, and the relevant national benchmarks.
Embedded transferable skills in areas such as information technology, problem-solving, communication and reflective practice will help students to prepare for a global market and pursue lifelong learning.
- Unique programmes offered by one of the top universities in the UK for international undergraduate study in sport;
- Work placement opportunities in leading public and private organisations;
- Applications considered from AD/HD holders in Sport, Business, Management and related subjects.
The entire BSc (Hons) Sport Management programme comprises 360 credits in total. Students enrolled in this programme are required to take 120 credits worth of modules each year and normally complete the entire programme in three years of full-time study in the UK.
In Hong Kong, graduates of the Higher Diploma in Sport and Recreation Mangaement awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE are exempted from 180 credits. Students with maximum credit exemption will be required to undertake seven modules and a dissertation over three years of study to gain a further 180 credits to be eligible for graduation.
1. Enable students to demonstrate a critical understanding of the processes and practices that are central to professions within Sport Management.
2. Equip students with the vocational, enterprise, and entrepreneurial skills needed for employment.
3. Enable students to appreciate and evaluate sport, as a global business, from an informed and inquisitive managerial viewpoint.
4. Develop students with vocationally relevant experience and skills; such as event management, strategic and economic planning, social media management, and sport marketing.
5. Encourage students to develop transferable skills in areas such as; communication, negotiation, teamwork, leadership, and problem-solving.
6. Emphasise the application of theory to practice, using contemporary case studies, live projects, and authentic assessments.
7. Develop students with an understanding of, and respect for, a globalised society with diverse needs and different cultural backgrounds.
The programme incorporates a wide variety of assessment methods enabling the ways in which student achievement is measured and evaluated to be appropriate to the learning outcomes of each module. Appropriate techniques are chosen to fit the subject and context for the students involved. The range of assessment methods includes: porfolios, essays and assignments, oral presentations, article reviews, event plans, poster presentation, project reports, literature reviews, viva interview, interview and self reflection, group assessments and dissertation. Student achievement is assessed through reference to a set of generic grade descriptors (provided to students via a student handbook) with specific marking criteria identified within each module outline.
Upon satisfactory completion of the programme, students will be awarded the Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle.
- Graduates may apply for entry to the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management offered by HKU SPACE.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship, the deadline application is 31 May each year.
|Application Code||2145-HS105A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- 3 Years (Normally 1 or 2 classes per week held during weekday evenings)
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
- Strategic Planning for Sport
- The Business of Sport
- Sport Research in Practice
All Year One modules should be successfully completed before students may progress to Year 2.
- Media Management for Sport
- Sport Facility and Operational Management
- Sport Event Management
- Professional Development Through Sport
- Sport Development, Management and Coaching Dissertation
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management to be awarded by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UNN).
Applicants shall hold a Higher Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE, or an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution.
Applicants, who are graduates of the programmes taught in English, are normally regarded as demonstrating the required English Proficiency. In other cases, IELTS 6.0 is required.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview and/or an English test.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- The tuition fee* for 2023/24 intake is HK$142,260 (subject to approval) for the whole programme, payable in three installments.
* The tuition fee is reviewed annually and is subject to change without prior notice.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Sport Event Management (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded By University of Northumbria at Newcastle) (Part-time)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z122311||FEES $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management|
|COURSE CODE 43B108184||FEES $139,470 (FT) or $139,470 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|Strategic Planning for Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z10819A||FEES $15,496 (FT) or $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|The Business of Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z108203||FEES $15,496 (FT) or $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|Sport Research in Practice (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z108211||FEES $15,496 (FT) or $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|Media Management for Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z10822A||FEES $15,496 (FT) or $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
|Sport Facility and Operational Management (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z108238||FEES $15,469 (FT) or $15,496 (PT)||ENQUIRY 3762-0862|
Continuing Education Fund
|CEF course code||Title of course seeking CEF registration / renewal (English)|
|43B108184||Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management|
|43Z10819A||Strategic Planning for Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|43Z108203||The Business of Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|43Z108211||Sport Research in Practice (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|43Z10822A||Media Management for Sport (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|43Z108238||Sport Facility and Operational Management (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|43Z122311||Sport Event Management (Module from Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Awarded by University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management
Graduates may apply for membership of the Hong Kong Recreation Management Association, and the World Lesiure Organization - Hong Kong chapter.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UNN) is a research-rich, business-focused, professional university with a global reputation for academic excellence. It is based in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne, which is regularly voted the best place in the UK for students to live and study. UNN was ranked in the Top 30 universities in the UK in the 2021 Guardian University league table and ranked 15th in the UK for 2022 on StudentCrowd, whose UK university league table is voted for by students who have actually studied, or are still studying, at each university (StudentCrowd UK University League Table and Rankings 2022). UNN has campuses based in Newcastle upon Tyne, London and Amsterdam, and works in partnership with other higher education institutions worldwide, attracting students from around 136 countries.
Additionally, Northumbria University is ranked as a top 100 Young University (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021). At UNN, students enjoy an educational experience that will set them up for life, taught by experts in their field with great passion. UNN’s courses are at the forefront of current knowledge and practice and are shaped by world-leading and internationally excellent research. UNN is also ranked as a World Top 500 University in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022. A strong national and international reputation for academic quality is prevalent.
Northumbria’s Department of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation is part of Health & Life Sciences along with Psychology, Health, Education, Community/Social Work and Applied Sciences. Having no fewer than 11,500 full and part-time students, they offer a comprehensive range of expertise across the sport, psychology, health, education and science professions; in The Complete University Guide 2022 University League Tables, UNN is ranked top 50 in the UK for Sports Science. The Department of Sport, Exercise & Rehabilitation is committed to delivering excellence in every aspect of work it undertakes. UNN’s Sports Programmes are ranked 25th in the UK for student satisfaction (The Complete University Guide 2022 University League Tables). UNN also cover sport & exercise science, strength & conditioning, exercise behaviour, physiology, and sport marketing, sport management & sport coaching. Staff are internationally renowned within their disciplines and their research is pioneering, helping to inform students, practitioners and Government policy - UNN was ranked Top 30 in the UK for Research Power (REF 2021). The department also provides bespoke help and advice with a range of industries and professional bodies.