Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
Apply now if you are interested ! Let's set Wine & Spirits as your new learning target in 2023!
Students will be introduced to essential grape growing and wine-making practices, major types and styles of wines produced in Italy which are made by different grape varieties. The programme will feature the most important appellations, equipping students with knowledge in the most famous wines in Italy, understand and pronounce the Italian wine label terminologies. Different regional wine cultures and gastronomic traditions will be introduced so as to broaden students’ enjoyment of Italian fine food and wines. Upon completion of the programme, students will be able to taste at least 48 types of wines from different parts of Italy, and practise Italian food and wine pairing both in classroom and through a dining experience at restaurant.
This programme is suitable for students who are enthusiastic in Italian wine and cuisine, and those who wish to work with Italian wines as part of a more extensive beverage portfolio in the retail, wholesale and hospitality sectors. Students will acquire the job skills and competencies to answer customer enquiries, develop wine lists and provide recommendations for the storage and service of wine.
intended learning outcomes:
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the principal grape varieties and key features of the wine industry in Italy;
- Describe how the unique wine growing environment in Italy influences the styles, characteristics and quality of wine and wine making practices in Italy;
- Identify and differentiate the regional grape varieties, major wine appellations, and gastronomic traditions in different parts of Italy;
- Outline the principles of upselling and cross-selling techniques, wine menu development, storage and service of wine; and
- Examine the guidelines and criteria of Italian food and wine pairing.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Students can taste at least 48 samples of wines during the course of their studies, and they are systematically arranged by classroom session.
- Our wine courses are taught by qualified wine professionals who are also experienced in wine education.
- This wine course will be delivered by teacher, who is very familiar with Italian food and wine culture.
- Food and wine pairing in-class sessions as well as a Italian restaurant dining expenience enable students to have an indepth understanding and appreciation of food and wine culture in Italy.
- All wines are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized wine suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
This programme consists of 32 face-to-face teaching hours, and they are structured into (1) ten 3-hour sessions with a few samples of wine tasting in each session as well as (2) a dining experience in restaurant. This programme is designed to deepen the knowledge of wine and food culture in Italy, so that students can enhance their appreciation of food and wine through the insightful learning journey across different wine regions in Italy. Food and wine pairing sessions will be hosted every session so that students can pair Italian wines with different iconic Italian food products. This would be a unique learning experience to students, since they can taste more than 48 different types of wines from Italy.
iconic Italian food products in food pairing sessions
- Prosciutto di San Daniele DOP
- Culatello di Zibello DOP
- Parmigiano Reggiano 18 months
- Asiago DOP Vertical Flight
- Tuscan Olive Oil
- Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- Various types of local salumi and regional bakeries
Classic Italian Wines
- Chianti Classico
- Brunello di Montalcino
- Amarone della Valpolicella
- Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
- Negro Amaro
- Nero d'Avola
- Etna Rosso
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano
- Moscato d'Asti
- Recioto della Valpolicella
- Passito di Pantelleria
|1||Introduction of Italian wine and grape varieties|
|2||Vine growing & wine making in Italy|
|3||Wine in North West Italy|
|4||Sparkling wine and Wine in North East Italy|
|5||Wine in North East Italy|
|6||Wine in Emilia Romagna & Tuscany in Italy|
|7||Wine in Tuscany in Italy|
|8||Wine in Tuscany & Central Italy|
|9||Wine in South Italy|
|10||Wine in Italian Islands: Sicily and Sardinia|
|11||Food and Wine pairing practice|
Assessment and Awards
|Assessment Type and Weighting||
Assessment Format and Duration
Part 1 (60%)
30 Multiple Choice Questions
50 % and above
Part 2 (40%)
8 Short questions will be set for the assessment of 2 wines (1 White and 1 Red) upon tasting
Note: Students may apply to resit the examination if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (Italian Wine and Food Appreciation) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Life Membership Fee is HK$200 to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine/spirits/sake/beer programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
- 30 hours lecture with wine tasting, 2 hours dining experience in a restaurant
Kowloon West Campus
KWC501 (Wine Room)
Modules & Class Details
Date and Time
(Medium of Instruction)
8, 22 November;
6, 13, 20 December 2023;
10, 17, 24, 31 January;
7 February 2024
Dining Session: 27 January 2024
21 February 2024
|20 October 2023|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
OUR wine TEACHER
Ms Alice Wong
Wine and healthcare seem to be contrasting elements, but as a licensed Physical Therapist and a Certified Wine Educator, Alice Wong specializes in both. Alice’s wine journey can be traced back to the early 2000s in New York City when she started her WSET education. Shortly after her relocation to Hong Kong in 2013, she obtained her Level 4 Diploma. Her involvement in the wine industry is multifold, including wine education, consultation, communication, event management, and judging. To fulfill her passion in Italian wines, she undertook the prestigious Vinitaly International Academy Italian Wine Ambassador Program and became the first batch of graduates of the enhanced version in 2018. Currently, Alice is the Deputy Master of the Cavalieri del Tartufo e dei Vini di Alba – Hong Kong Delegation, and the Vice Chair of the Food & Beverage Committee of The American Club Hong Kong. To honor her contribution in promoting Italian wines, Alice was the winner of the 2020 Hong Kong Living Influencer Award.
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants shall be aged at least 18 years or above, and do not have any health problems that made them unfit for wine tasting.
- HK$11,500 per programme inclusive of:
1.) Learning materials in English
2.) at least 48 different types of wine for tasting
3.) food and wine pairing in every class session
4.) 2-hour Dining experience in restaurant
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Italian Wine and Food Appreciation)
證書(單元 : 意大利葡萄酒與美食鑑賞）
|COURSE CODE 43C140308||FEES $11,500||ENQUIRY 2520-4607|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Italian Wine and Food Appreciation)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee