Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
This programme is intended for people who have little or no prior knowledge of sake, and who like to have an authentic Japanese sake learning experience. It is suitable to people who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Sake enthusiasts and people who work with sake as part of a larger beverage portfolio in the retail and hospitality sectors are suitable to join the programme.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Our sake courses are taught by qualified sake professionals who are also experienced in sake education.
- Our sake courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All sakes are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized sake suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
TThe programme consists of 9 face-to-face contact hours, including sake tasting, food pairing, and 45-minute WSET examination. This programme intends to prepare students to attempt the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) qualification, namely ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Sake’, and therefore it will cover the content on ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Sake’ qualification, as well as content on authentic Japanese culture about sake. Our teacher will share more stories and cultural practices on topics such as how important is sake in traditional cultural celebrations in Japan, manners and etiquette of drinking and serving sake, some useful terminologies and expressions related to sake culture, and so on. Throughout this 9-hour programme, at least 13 different styles of sake will be tasted; to further enhance the authenticity and experience of the sake learning, at least 10 types of specially selected otsumami snacks (such as Japanese rice crackers, pickles, nuts, cake, cheese) will be used to pair with sake.
- List and state the purpose of the main ingredients and the main production steps used to make sake.
- Name the principal categories and grades of sake as well as some speciality styles of sake and state their key characteristics.
Know and recognize the processes and principles involved in the storage and service of sake.
What is sake?
Sake in Japanese history, tradition and culture
How is sake made?
|4||Categories and grades of sake|
Main production steps
Storage and service of sake
|7||Sake and food pairing|
|8||Useful Japanese expressions in the world of sake|
An introduction to tasting sake (using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake (SAT))
Textbook (included in the course fee) & Specification
Study Guide for WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
Level 1 Award in Sake Programme Specification
Assessment and Award
Students will attempt the ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Sake’ Examination (examination fee included), and the details is as follows:
- 45-minute closed-book examination
- 30 Multiple-Choice Questions
- Students need to pass the examination with a minimum mark of 70%.
- Students may apply to resit the examination if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee. There is no limit on the number of attempts that may be made.
On completion of this programme with a minimum mark of 70% in the examination, students will gain the certificate “WSET Level 1 Award in Sake” awarded by WSET and a WSET lapel pin. If students fail the examination, a HKU SPACE Statement of Attendance will be issued to them.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine & spirits programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
|Application Code||2050-3266NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||07 Oct 2022 (Fri)|
|Apply Online Now|
- 9 hours (including 45-min WSET exam)
Island East Campus
IEC901 (Wine Room)
Date and Time
(Medium of Instruction)
7, 21 October 2022
24 October 2022
WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
24 October 2022
|26 September 2022|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
- Re-assessment fee for WSET Level 1 Awards: HKD700
OUR Sake Teacher
Ms Naoko Ikeda (池田直子)
Ms. Naoko Ikeda 池田直子 is a Japanese Sake & Wine Specialist based in Hong Kong. Born in Hiroshima, she has lived in Japan and France. She is a WSET certified educator and is also conducting her tailor-made original classes. She has more than 20 years experiences in Food & Beverage Industry, as Educator, Speaker, Consultant, Buyer, Marketer and Sales Manager. She has worked for sake breweries and wineries. Currently she works for a major Champagne House. Her sake qualifications: WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Pass with Distinction (2018), Japan Sommelier Association Sake Diploma (2017) and SSI International Kikisake-shi (2017). Besides teaching, she also loves pairing her homemade food with sakes and working at production sites and wishes to spread her passion of appreciating sakes.
HKU SPACE has been using the following measures to protect the safety of our students/teachers/staff and reduce the chances of infection:
- Temperature check at the entrance of the School campus
- All students/teachers/staff need to wear a surgical mask at all times (except for wine/sake/coffee tasting and food pairing moments)
- Maintain social distancing
- Regular sanitary / hygienic measures in the School campus
- Mandate Vaccination for students/teachers/staff
- Be aged 18 or above
- Not suffer from any health problems that are unfit for tasting wine in class
- Course Fee : HK$2600 per programme
Early Bird Rate : HK$2400 per programme (applicable to enrollment on/before 2 September 2022)
This course fee includes:
(1) Student study pack for WSET Level 1 Award in Sake in English (color print-out)
(2) At least 13 sakes for tasting
(3) At least 10 types of specially selected otsumami for food pairing
(4) Examination Fee for WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification (exclude re-sit fee)
(5) WSET certificate and lapel pin
WHAT is Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET)?
WSET was founded in 1969 to provide high quality education and training in wines and spirits. Since then, WSET has grown into the foremost international body in the field of wines and spirits education, with a suite of sought-after qualifications. WSET qualifications are recognised internationally and are now represented in over 70 countries through the world. WSET Awards is recognised as an awarding body by the English regulator for qualifications, examinations and assessments, Ofqual. It also operates a quality management system that complies with ISO 9001:2015, and is a member of the UK’s Federation of Awarding Bodies. For details regarding WSET, please visit http://www.wsetglobal.com/.
HKU SPACE is one of the Approved Programme Providers (APPs) of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET), and this programme prepares students to attempt and complete ONE WSET sake qualifications, namely ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Sake’. This programme fully adopts all the learning outcomes, curriculum, specification, educational materials including textbooks and PowerPoints designed and provided by WSET, so that students exactly know the examination requirements and assessment criteria.
Tasting is a vital part of the WSET qualifications. Students must make themselves familiar with the WSET level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT). Our experienced teacher will base on the WSET recommended tasting samples and choose sake samples that are both very good and very typical of the required styles for students to taste. Students will have an opportunity to taste at least 13 different categories and styles of sake during the entire programme.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee