Marketing & HospitalityRetail, Fashion and Luxury Brand Management
High Horology Certification Programme
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 05 Oct 2020 (Mon)
- 1 month
- Cantonese supplemented with materials in English
- Course Fee
This programme aims to discover and deepen understand of the fine watchmaking industry, prepare to enter the watch and jewellery industry and get the FHH Watch Advisor Certification recognition and become a true watch connoisseur.
Students who pass the examination will be awarded FHH Watch Advisor Certificate.
Students who have achieved not less than 70% attendance will be awarded a Statement of Attendance by HKU SPACE.
The High Horology Certificate Programme comprises a total of 16 hours of teaching and 1 hour term-end examination.
Modules Topics (8 modules plus a term and examination. Total 17h):
Introduction to the watch market and the major players (2h)
Appreciate, describe and name the exterior components of a watch (2h)
What a watch is made of? The importance of materials in watchmaking (2h)
How does a mechanical watch work? (2h)
Introduction to the watch complications (Chronograph, Calendar, Tourbillon, Timezone and Striking Watches) (2h)
Dive into fine watchmaking culture and history (2h)
An overview of Watch Icons over time and latest trends of SIHH and Baselworld (2h)
Wrap-up session with FHH Certification preparation (2h)
|9.||HH Certification examination (1h)|
Mr CARSON K. CHAN
Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie (FHH), Head of Mission, ASIA
Carson Chan graduated from the California State Polytechnic University with a Bachelor of Science degree in International Business in 1995. He returned to Hong Kong in 1997 to start his own company specialising in injection manufacturing. Two years later he became Bonhams’ Hong Kong representative. In 2004 he was appointed General Manager for Asia for kick starting the luxury watch brand Richard Mille. Carson’s involvement with Bonhams Auction took on a permanent role in January 2007 when he became Managing Director and Head of the Watch Department for Bonhams Asia based in Hong Kong.
Carson is a great enthusiast for all things mechanical. Besides being a keen race car driver, his passion for watches led him to study horology in depth and he completed several Complicated Mechanical Movement Repairing and Training Courses at the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Department of Engineering Management and Technology) as well as a number of training courses offered by top Swiss watchmakers. Carson continues to study and train in the horological world both as a hobby and a passion. In September 2013, Carson was recognised by the prestigious Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie (FHH) in Switzerland as a master trainer, the first Chinese in the world to achieve this level of distinction. He has regularly conducted training classes for consumers and have taken on a bigger training role in his new capacity as an FHH master trainer by offering certification programmes to the watch trade professionals and enthusiasts alike.
In 2014, Carson assisted the FHH in launching the first ever industry recognized certification programme, giving the much needed professional recognition for the industry. In 2018, Carson was invited to become one of 28 jury member of the prestigious GPHG (Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Geneve), a role that reflects his expertise in the industry. His knowledge and standing in the watch world has led topflight watch and lifestyle publications in the Asia to invite him to write columns for them. He is now a guest columnist for ElleMen in Hong Kong, Vogue China and International Watch Journal in China, and GQ in Taiwan.
Carson has been widely interviewed by the local, regional and international media on watch collecting and the auction industry in Hong Kong. (New York Times, Financial Times, Finance Asia, South China Morning Posts, Apple Daily, etc.)
|High Horology Certification Programme||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||05 Oct 2020 (Mon)|
|Time||7:30 - 9:30 P.M.|
|Venue||HKU SPACE Learning Center (Hong Kong Island)|
|Tutor||Mr CARSON K. CHAN|
|Apply Online Now|
One must be at least 18 years of age.
- Course Fee : HK$7,500
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Retail, Fashion and Luxury Brand Management