Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
The programme aims to provide students with advanced knowledge of the coaching practice and exercise science components that underpin sport coaching and development. The programme will enhance students’ analytical ability, improve their problem-solving skills and encourage innovative solutions to sport coaching problems. It also aims to enable students to develop their coaching expertise alongside their sport-specific qualifications and support qualified sport coaches seeking higher level professional recognition.
Duration of Study
Students can complete the programme in 9 months (part-time). Classes will be conducted on weekday evenings.
The medium of instruction is English.
The delivery methods are diverse which include face-to-face lectures, discussions and presentations. There are also online tutorials for a wide variety of activities such as debates, discussion and critique of research papers, case study scenarios, and the general discussion of academic and ethical issues that underpin each module.
Programme Intended Learning Outcome
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- strategically apply the scientific components of human movement and exercise science to coaching practice;
- critically evaluate contemporary sport and recreation issues and integrate these with the changing environment of sport coaching practice;
- critically examine sport performance and formulate strategies to develop sport performance in individual athletes;
- strategically apply a range of coaching skills to a sport coaching plan designed to develop the sport performance of an athlete/s in a selected sport.
The programme incorporates a wide variety of assessment methods enabling the way in which student achievement is measured and evaluated to be appropriate to the learning outcomes of each module. Appropriate techniques are chosen to fit the subject and context for the students involved. A wide range of assessment methods is designed and proposed to meet the different needs and learning abilities of our students. Assessment includes individual written assignment, oral presentation and group project. For instance, a poster presentation would demonstrate students’ presentation skills; reflective skills would be better assessed with a reflective report.
To complete the programme, students are required to achieve 70% attendance of the programme and pass all the assignments. Upon successful completion, students will be awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship, the deadline application is 31 May each year.
|Application Code||2080-HS191A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Advanced Exercise Science for Coaching
Contemporary Issues in Sport and Recreation
Advanced Sport Coaching and Athlete Development
Performance Analysis and Development
Strategic Sport Coaching and Development Plan
Applicants should normally hold a recognised Bachelor's degree in sports, physical education, sport coaching or related subject.
Qualified coaches or high performance athletes with a recognised Bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualifications will also be considered.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Consideration will also be given to mature age applicants who do not fulfil the academic requirement or with other qualifications but who can demonstrate extensive experience in positions requiring related skills. Such applicants shall have to provide evidence of a) English proficiency such as an overall band of 6.0 in the IELTS, or equivalent; and b) evidence of practice in sport coaching or at elite level in sport.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$38,175 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development
|COURSE CODE 43G134833||FEES $38,175||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Advanced Exercise Science for Coaching (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134840||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Contemporary Issues in Sport and Recreation (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134859||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Advanced Sport Coaching and Athlete Development (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134867||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Performance Analysis and Development (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134875||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
Checklist of Application Documents
- Application for Enrolment Form SF26; AND
- Application fee: HK$150 (non-refundable)
- Certificate and supporting document (e.g. Academic qualification, professional certification, etc.)
Applicants may pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
- More Programmes of
- Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
- Relevant Programmes
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Coaching Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Postgraduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management Advanced Diploma in Sport Injury Prevention and Management Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management Advanced Diploma in Sport Coaching and Performance Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Strategic Marketing) Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Policy) Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Strategic Business Management)