Architecture, Environment & Housing Architecture
Programme Aims & Features
The construction sector is one of the driving forces behind Hong Kong’s economy. The future looks even brighter for those who are eager to make their creative mark in this vibrant and expanding market. Emerging opportunities such as architectural conservation, sustainable development, urban renewal, building maintenance and most importantly, the blooming construction industry in China will, undoubtedly, open up new prospects for local and non-local architectural career development.
The series of programmes provides students with essential knowledge and skills related to design, building technology and professional practice, and produces pre-professional graduates capable of working in the industry or pursuing further studies.
The programme utilizes special studio facilities exclusively for HKU SPACE architectural studies students. The programme also includes lots of exiting outside-classroom activities such as building and site visits and project research.
Opportunities for Further Studies
The programme will also enable students to further their studies. In past years, a considerable number of graduates were accepted by leading local or overseas architecture or design schools as shown in the list below. Most were admitted directly to Year 2 or Year 3 of degree programmes:
- The University of Hong Kong
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- University of Plymouth
- Curtin University of Technology
- RMIT University
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Adelaide
- The Architectural Association (AA)
- The University of Liverpool
- The University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- The University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Kingston University
- University of Westminister
- University of Northumbria
- De Montfort University
This programme consists of 17 modules (291 credits in total) in 3 years for part-time mode. There are 2 semesters in each year.
- Part-time Year 1:
- Architectural Design 1
- Visual Studies 1
- Environmental Controls 1
- Building Structures 1
- Building Construction 1
- English for Architectural Studies
- Modern Architecture
- Part-time Year 2:
- Architectural Design 2
- Visual Studies 2a
- Environmental Controls 2
- Building Structures 2
- Building Construction 2
- Architects in Practice
- Architectural Theory and Critical Context
- Part-time Year 3:
- Architectural Design 3
- Visual Studies 2b
- Hong Kong Architectural Practice
*Programme Structure is subject to final confirmation.
The "Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies" is awarded within the HKU system to students who have completed the required modules and fulfilled the following requirements:
- Normally achieved 80% attendance* in lectures, design studio, field trip/site visit components; and
- Passed all assessments.
*In the event a student cannot attend a class function (i.e. lecture, tutorial, field trip or site visit), he/she must in advance formally submit a written application for a short leave. Only sickness or unforeseen circumstances will be considered as valid reasons for absence.
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$48,270 per year (Paid in 2 installments)
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination* Level 2 or above in five subjects including English Language, Chinese Language and Mathematics (Core) and with 1 year’s relevant working experience;or
- have a pass in one AL subject or two AS subjects in the HKALE;or
- hold a recognised Pre-Associate Degree / Foundation Programme qualification; or
- hold a recognized post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Applicants who do not possess the above academic qualifications but who are aged 25 or above with 1 year’s relevant working experience will be considered by the College.
*Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
- “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3; and
- “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|VISUAL STUDIES 1 (MODULE FROM PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN ARCHITECTURAL STUDIES)
|COURSE CODE 31Z148496||FEES $12,775||ENQUIRY 3762-0074|
|VISUAL STUDIES 2A (MODULE FROM PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN ARCHITECTURAL STUDIES)
|COURSE CODE 31Z14850A||FEES $7,386||ENQUIRY 3762-0074|
|VISUAL STUDIES 2B (MODULE FROM PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN ARCHITECTURAL STUDIES)
|COURSE CODE 31Z148518||FEES $8,441||ENQUIRY 3762-0074|
|Hong Kong Architectural Practice (Module from Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies)|
|COURSE CODE 31Z116349||FEES $13,506||ENQUIRY 3763-0074|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please visit any of HKU SPACE enrolment counters to apply for the programme. True copies and photocopies of academic/working qualifications should be brought along for certification.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.