Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Nursing Studies and Healthcare
The Programme aims to equip enrolled nurses with essential competencies for safe, effective and ethical practice so as to achieve the requirement of the Core-Competencies for Registered Nurses (General) of the Nursing Council of Hong Kong (NCHK). Graduates will be eligible to apply for registration with the NCHK as Registered Nurses (General) [RN(G)] in Hong Kong.
The programme will be conducted in small group interactive teaching approach which provides a fruitful academic environment to optimise their learning experience. Our students will be provided with opportunities to work collaboratively with teachers and peers. They will be trained to be a competent team player and team leader which is essential in the multidisciplinary healthcare setting. Our students will be equipped with critical thinking and problem-solving skills on top of nursing knowledge and skills after completion of the programme.
Higher Diploma is the intermediate award of a degree programme. It is envisaged that graduates of Higher Diploma in Nursing will be admitted to a top-up degree programme in nursing locally (e.g. HKU) or internationally (e.g. Middlesex University). The graduates can also enroll in the Certificate / Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice programmes offered by HKU SPACE.
Higher Diploma in Nursing
Bachelor in Nursing
Certificate / Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the subjects such as biological and medical sciences, communication, social and behavioural sciences as well as legal and ethical aspects in nursing practices;
- Apply nursing theories and evidence-based nursing knowledge integrated with problem solving skills, cognitive skills and psycho-motor skills and therapeutic techniques to practice safely, legally, ethically and effectively;
- Work efficiently in partnership with different individuals in society and apply knowledge and skills of education, communication and problem solving to practice;
- Use management and leadership skills in practice by applying knowledge of management, leadership theories and health care;
- Apply knowledge and skills in appraising research and utilizing research findings to improve nursing and health care practices;
- Practice professional development by applying knowledge and skills for personal effectiveness and professional development into practice.
Mode of Delivery
Lecture; seminar; tutorial; skills laboratory; self-directed learning; E-learning, site visit; clinical practice.
- At least 80% class attendance and 100% clinical attendance.
- Pass all assessments including presentations / assignments / tests / examinations / clinical assessments.
- Supplementary assessments may be granted subject to the recommendation of the Board of Examiners.
- On successful completion of all the required assessments, the student will be awarded the “Higher Diploma in Nursing (An Enrolled Nurse to Registered Nurse Conversion Programme)” within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
- Graduates will be eligible to register with The Nursing Council of Hong Kong for the Part I Registration ( General ) as Registered Nurses ( General ) and are licensed to practise.
- Students will complete the programme in 3 years. The theoretical component will be conducted on a part-time basis throughout the 3 years. Meanwhile, the clinical component will be completed in full-time mode in the final year. Students are required to complete the programme within 4 years.
- Sociology and Nursing
- Applied Psychology and Communication
- Fundamental Pharmacology
- Evidence Based Practice and Research
- Dermatology and Communicable Disease Nursing
- Respiratory Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing and Lymphatic System
- Genito-urinary Nursing
- Alimentary Nursing
- Endocrine Nursing
- Neurology Nursing
- Musculoskeletal and Rehabilitation Nursing
- Haematology, Oncology, Palliative, Peri-operative and Anaesthetic Nursing
- Reproductive System and Obstetrics Nursing
- Paediatric and Adolescent Nursing
- Gerontological Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
- Public Health and Community Nursing
- Ophthalmic and Oto-rhino-laryngeal Nursing
- Chinese Medicine Nursing and Complementary Alternative Medicine
- Health Promotion and Education
- Legal and Ethical Nursing
- Management and Leadership
- Clinical Practicum
- A) have passed a minimum of 5 subjects in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination, or equivalent, which include:-
(i) English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade D or above, or English Language (Syllabus A) at Grade B, or English Language at Level 3;
(ii) Any one science subject from the following at Grade E or above;
Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics
(iii) Any two other subjects at Grade E (or Level 2 for Chinese Language) or above;
Accommodation and Catering Services, Additional Mathematics, Biology, Buddhist Studies, Chemistry, Chinese History, Chinese Language, Chinese Literature, Commerce, Computer and Information Technology, Design and Technology, Design and Technology (Alternative Syllabus), Economics, Economics & Public Affairs, Electronics and Electricity, English Literature, French, Geography, Government and Public Affairs, Graphical Communication, History, Home Economics (Food, Home and Family), Human Biology, Integrated Humanities, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Physics, Principles of Accounts, Putonghua, Religious Studies, Science and Technology, Social Studies, Visual Arts, Word Processing and Business Communication (English)
(iv) Any one other subject at Grade E or above.
Any one of the subjects listed in (A)(i) to (A)(iii) must be at Grade C (or Level 3 for English Language or Chinese Language) or above.
B) have passed a minimum of 5 subjects in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination, or equivalent. The 5 compulsory subjects required are:-
(i) 4 Core Subjects, with English Language and Chinese Language at Level 3 or above, and Mathematics and Liberal Studies at Level 2 or above; and
(ii) 1 Elective Subject from Category A – New Senior Secondary Subjects at Level 2 or above.
Applicants do not fulfil the above English Language requirement are required to have International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Band Score 6.0 or above.
2. have valid enrolment as Enrolled Nurse (General) in the Nursing Council of Hong Kong;
3. have valid practising certificate to practice as Enrolled Nurse (General) in the Nursing Council of Hong Kong;
4. have more than a year of post-enrolment experience of direct nursing care in health care organisations;
5. currently practice direct nursing care in health care organisations.
Shortlisted applicants are required to attend a face-to-face interview.
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- 2022/23 intake (Cohort 15) HK$210,000 + Clinical practicum fee (Subject to revision)
Note: Students may purchase professional indemnity insurance on their own.
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
- in person, at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centre, application form should be submitted together with the below supporting documents and application fee.
- by post, application form should be sent together with the below supporting documents and application fee either in the form of a crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to HKU SPACE.
(1) Copy of Hong Kong Identity Card
(2) Copy of HKCEE/ HKDSE Certificate
(3) Copy of Nursing Graduation Certificate
(4) Copy of Certificate of Enrolment (Issued by the Nursing Council of Hong Kong)
(5) Copy of Practising Certificate (Issued by the Nursing Council of Hong Kong)
(6) Proof of clinical experience (e.g. Contract of employment AND staff card/Last salary slip/Employment reference letter)
All forms should be sent to Nursing Studies and Health Care, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong. Please indicate "Application for Higher Diploma in Nursing (2022 intake)" on the cover of the envelope.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Nursing Studies and Healthcare