Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
This programme consists of three modules namely:
- Basic Principle of Nutrients
- The module will cover an introduction to nutrition: digestion, absorption, transportation and excretion of nutrients; cell metabolism, energy balance; macronutrients: fats, proteins and carbohydrates; micronutrients: vitamins, minerals, trace elements and fiber; measuring food intakes; nutrient analysis; evaluating scientific information
- Applied Nutrition
- The module examines the following major topics: basic principles on balanced diet; nutrition in the life cycle: pregnancy, lactation, infancy, adolescent and elderly; sports nutrition; nutrition assessment; vegetarianism; health food and vitamin supplementation; food labeling and nutrition policy; nutrition and ethnic minority groups; diet and oral health
- Food Microbiology and Food Safety
- The module will provide a foundation for food microbiology, methods of food preservation and their underlying principles and mechanisms of food spoilage, public health aspects of food, the significance of micro-organisms in health and disease and its control.
Mode of Delivery
The programmes will be delivered through face-to-face seminars and class-interactive discussions.
A HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Nutrition wil be awarded to successful candidates.
- Students who successfully complete this Advanced Certificate and the Advanced Certificate in Clinical Nutrition and Health Promotion are eligible for the award of Advanced Diploma in Nutrition.
- Students who successfully complete this Advanced Certificate and the Advanced Certificate in Child and Adolescent Nutrition are eligible for the award of Advanced Diploma in Child and Adolescent Nutrition.
- Students who complete the Advanced Certificate in Nutrition and the relevant programmes offered by HKU SPACE are eligible for entry into the two years part-time BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition extension programme offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the Ulster University , U.K. (Details refer to Progression Path)
Class A: (Every Tuesday and Friday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm; some Saturdays 2:30 - 5:30pm)
Class B: (Every Wednesday 6:45pm - 9:45pm and Saturday 2:30 - 5:30pm, ; some Sundays 2:30 - 5:30pm)
30 October 2023
Class A: 9 Jan 2024
Class B: 10 Jan 2024
Please indicate clearly which class you would like to apply in the application form
- 6 months
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Admiralty, Causeway Bay, Fortress Hill or North Point)
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$17,500
- Third Age Rate : 14,000 (The course offers 20% discount for aged 60 or above. The number of discount places available in some courses is subject to a quota. Smart Age Learners must apply in person and present their HKID card/Passport for age verification at the time of their course enrolment.)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Food, Nutrition and Healthcare Office, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Food, Nutrition and Healthcare Office). OR
Applicants should note that simply meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee entry to a programme. Places are subject to availability and selection criteria, if any.
As Hongkong Post adopted new postage rates on 1 January 2018, please make sure that sufficient postage is provided when you send us your supporting documents by post. For mails with postage underpaid, we shall return the mails to senders or ask them to pay for the shortage. Such actions may delay the processing of the applications concerned. For new postage rates please refer to Hongkong Post https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/postage_rate_2018/
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Dietetics and Nutrition