Engineering and Science Library and Information Studies
This distance-learning course, offered in collaboration with Charles Sturt University, Australia, is supplemented by local tutorials. It is for those interested in the field of library, information, records, archives and knowledge management.
The obtained academic qualification has full recognition by Australian Library and Information Association and other international library associations.
Exemption will be granted to graduates of Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management.
In the 21st century, the library field is undergoing numerous changes that are redefining the traditional roles of and job opportunities for information professionals. Factors responsible for the changing nature of library field include the emergence of new technologies, changing user expectations, etc. In order to respond to the ongoing changes, the HKU SPACE collaborated with the Charles Sturt University, Australia (CSU) delivers the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes of information studies for the prospective information professionals to equip their skills to meet the increasingly needs from diverse users. The programmes are conducted in distance learning mode supplemented by local tutorials. The qualification awarded has the full recognition by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) and internationally by other professional bodies such as American Library Association (ALA) as a librarian.
This is the entry level programme. Local tutorials are led by prominent and experienced professionals in the field.
Programme Commencement: 13 November 2023
Application Deadline: 9 September 2023
Programme structure (Total 192 points)
Core Subjects (96 points) (8 points per subject, unless otherwise specified)
- INF109 BIS Intensive Introductory Learning (0 points)
- INF111 Introduction to the Information Professions (16 points)
- INF200 Supervision and Management #
- INF209 Metadata for Resource Discovery
- INF210 Collections
- INF211 Information Sources and Services #
- INF218 Providing Access to Information #
- INF219 Web Publishing for Information Agencies #
- INF220 Professional Study Visit (4 points) #
- INF221 Planning for Professional Placement (2 points) #
- INF222 Professional Placement (2 points) #
- INF303 The Information Society
- INF305 Professional Learning and Networking
- INF321 Introduction to Research
Elective Subjects (96 points) (8 points per subject) (Select 12 subjects)
- There are over 20 elective subjects. For details, please refer to Charles Sturt University's website. (https://study.csu.edu.au/courses/library-information-studies/bachelor-information-studies)
Remark: Specialisation is not offered to HK students.
Exemption (Subject to review by CSU)
Exemption may be granted to applicants who graduated from:
Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management (HDLIM)
-- 40 points for core subjects
-- 64 points for elective subjects
(The core subjects with # will be exempted.)
Diploma in Teacher Librarianship
-- 16 points for core subjects
-- 16 points for elective subjects
Certificate for Library Assistants
-- 4 points for core subjects
-- 16 points for elective subjects
Assessments are mainly based on assignments. If students fail a subject, they have to re-take the subject in a session where the subject is being offered.
- - 48 months for non-Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management graduates
- 24 months for Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management graduates
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
1. (i) complete the HKDSE with an aggregate score of 13^ based on the four core subjects, Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and Liberal Studies, and the best grade in one Category A elective subject. (Category B and C subjects are not included); and
(ii) provide evidence of English proficiency#, such as
(a) an overall band of 6.0 with subtest of 5.5 in the IELTS; or
(b) a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL; or
(c) an overall score of 54 with a minimum of 46 in all communicative skills in Pearson Test of English; or equivalent.
2. have gained HKALE Grade E in 2 AL subjects including AS Use of English; or equivalent;
3. hold an associate degree or a higher diploma awarded by a recognised institution.
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
^ A subject Level 1 is equal to 1 point up to a Level 5 is equal to 5 points, 5* and 5** equals 6 points. Except for Compulsory Mathematics where Level 1 is equal to 0.5 points up to Level 5 equal to 2.5 points.
# Applicants who have met requirement 1(i) with Level 4 in English Language in the HKDSE Examination will be exempted.
HK$150 non-refundableCourse Fee
- HK$25,200 per 16 points subject; HK$12,600 per 8 points subject; HK$6,300 per 4 points subject; HK$3,150 per 2 points subject.
HK$138,600 (for HDLIM graduates)
HK$302,400 (for Non HDLIM graduates)
Actual course fee will be assessed on the number of subjects required.
* Course fee is subjected to review at the time of enrolment
The tuition fee is paid by subjects per session (3 sessions in a year).
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|INF203 Information Literacy (Module from Advanced Diploma in Library and Information Science/Bachelor of Information Studies)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z03658-0||FEES HK$11,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme before October 2017) or; HK$12,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme after October 2017)||ENQUIRY 3762 0831|
|INF211 Information Sources and Services (Module from Advanced Diploma in Library and Information Science/Bachelor of Information Studies)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z03659-9||FEES HK$11,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme before October 2017) or; HK$12,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme after October 2017)||ENQUIRY 3762 0831|
|INF333 Human Resource Management in Information Agencies (Module from Advanced Diploma in Library and Information Science/Bachelor of Information Studies)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z04467-2||FEES HK$11,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme before October 2017) or; HK$12,000 (Admitted into the Bachelor of Information Studies programme after Oct 2017)||ENQUIRY 3762 0831|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|The Office of the Continuing Education Fund does not have record of registration of this course under the Qualifications Framework*
*This course is CEF reimbursable before the establishment of the Qualifications Framework
The obtained academic qualification has full recognition by the Australian Library and Information Association and by other international library association.
Application FormDownload Application Form
CSU Application Form (Must submit with SF26)
Please complete both applications forms (HKU SPACE Enrolment Form SF26 & CSU Application Form) and submit to HKU SPACE Learning Centres together with verified academic certificate copies. Applicants should bring along the original copies of certificates and documents to HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters for verification when submitting their applications. For CSU Application Form, please be reminded to complete Questions 3 (English language proficiency) and Question 4 (Citizenship and residency).
Please note that course fee will only be collected from successful applicants after the selection process by HKU SPACE and Charles Sturt University.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Library and Information Studies
- Relevant Programmes
- Master of Information Studies