Summer School 2024 Courses for English Language Teachers. 2024教師暑期課程。為九月的新學年英語教學做更好準備。
The course is specially designed for teachers who need to pass on their English language knowledge and skills to our children, our pillars of tomorrow, and who wish to improve their professional image by sounding more like a native British English speaker.
A small portion of the course will be theory and the rest will be practical, starting with an initial assessment of students’ accents, and then practising the concepts and ideas presented. Detailed drilling (vowel and consonant sounds, tongue twisters, etc) will be a necessary part of the course. Advice will be given, where appropriate, on teaching accent, and discussion on teaching will be welcome and encouraged.
Much of the time will be spent evaluating participants’ own accents and providing remedial coaching to help students become an accent role model, and the class size is smaller to allow for more individual attention per student.
The determined student should finish with a more British accent and an understanding of his/her pronunciation ‘issues’ and of how to modify his/her accent over time, after the course has finished.
This course will cover:
- The components of accent: rhythm, pitch (intonation and tone), flow, stress, dialect.
- Pronunciation: the 44 phonemes of British English, common issues for Chinese learners of English, finding correct pronunciations.
- Detailed examination of vowel and consonant sounds and letter combinations.
- Flow (smoothing) and the preponderance of unstressed vowels in Standard English.
- Standard English intonation.
- Emphasis and modulation.
- An awareness of regional accents.
- Pronunciation clinics.
- British vs American English.
- Image and professionalism.
About the Trainer
Mr Peter Brokenshire, British English elocution and accent reduction trainer, was raised in Malaya and educated in England. He graduated in Classics (Latin and Ancient Greek) and joined the British Army, first in the infantry and then as an intelligence analyst, and met his wife in Hong Kong in 1982. He was then self-employed in sales and IT, and gained a BSc in Natural Sciences and an MSc in e-Commerce. He then worked for the Department for Transport in IT procurement, negotiating and managing large data management, IT services and software development contracts. In 2012 he returned to the Far East and teaches English and elocution in various tertiary education institutes in China and Hong Kong. His interests include languages, history, natural sciences and fish keeping.
Students will be impressed by his sense of humour and dynamic teaching methods.
Other courses that you may be interested:
- Stylistic Analysis: Insight into the Subtle Delivery of Meaning [文體分析 : 探究達意技巧微妙處]
- British English Elocution
- British English Elocution (3)
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
|British English Elocution for Teachers
|24 Jul 2024 (Wed)
|Wednesday & Friday 2:00pm - 5:00pm
|Admiralty Learning Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong
|Mr. Peter Brokenshire
Days / Time
- Wed, Fri, 2:00pm - 5:00pm
- 8 x 3-hour sessions; twice a week; 4 weeks in total
Fee & Entry Requirements
- Course Fee : HK$3,600
Applicants should be practising teachers of English Language / Subjects taught in English and should be willing to take part in discussions and practical reading aloud and speaking exercises, ideally with little inhibition. They should be reasonably confident and fluent English speakers.
Applicants should note that it takes self-awareness and persistence to permanently modify one’s speaking accent.
a) complete the enrolment form and enroll in the course(s)
(ii) by mail with cheque/bank draft to ‘HKU SPACE Summer School Office, 11/F, 250 King’s Road, Hong Kong'.
Cheque/Bank draft should be made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ with applicant’s name and course(s) applied written on the back. A photo of the applicant (in plain colour background, 45mm(W) x 55mm(H)) is also required.
b) apply through the School’s online enrolment system and pay by credit card or PPS.
- All applicants who are below age 18 on 10 July 2024 MUST complete and submit the ‘Parent/Guardian Consent Form’ together with the Enrolment Form.
- If you are applying for more than one course, please check to ensure that there is no clash of class schedules before submitting your application.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted to a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- Receipts will only be issued once. For additional copies of proof of payments, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of