Business & Management Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship
With the integration of HK with the Greater Bay Area to develop innovation and technology, the knowledge of IP rights is increasingly important to the business and innovation sectors. Given this, the IP rights and legislation in Hong Kong and Mainland are included in the syllabus to address the needs created by GBA development.
The programme aims to:
- Equip students with sufficient competence to leverage Intellectual Property (IP) in commercial settings to optimize knowledge-based innovation;
- Enhance students’ knowledge on IP rights and legislations in Mainland China;
- Inspire students’ confidence in managing IP by equipping them with sound knowledge of relevant legal framework for innovation development; and
- Train students to apply strategic thinking and win-win approaches to create synergy in collaborations of open innovation.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Leverage IP in commercial settings to optimize knowledge-based innovation as an integral part of corporate strategy for business growth;
- Examine legal frameworks to formulate strategy and drive business growth by commercialising innovation through IP creation, ownership, protection, and exploitation;
- Create synergy by integrating the regulatory and commercial perspectives for innovation-driven growth in today’s knowledge economy;
- Formulate a strategic Intellectual Property Management (IPM) plan in their own industries and develop a set of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure the effectiveness and efficiency;
- Discuss IP rights and related legislation and enforcement in Mainland China.
1. Essentials of Intellectual Property (IP) for Innovation
1.4 Registered Designs, Trade Secret & Others
2. IP Management for Innovation (COPE Framework)
3. Strategic Portfolio Management
3.1 Technology Relevance (Technology)
3.2 IP Pool & Claim Analysis (Legal)
3.3 IP Asset Valuation (Market)
4. Market Assessment and Engagement
4.1 Understand Market Needs & Trends
4.2 Market Assessment Methodologies
4.3 Commercial Engagement & Interest-based Negotiation
5. Performance Measurement
5.1 Return of Investment (ROI) for IP Development
5.2 Measuring Efficiency and Effectiveness of IP Strategy
6. IP Registration and Protection in Mainland China
6.1 Requirements and conditions of IP registration
6.2 Application procedures and timelines for different IP registration
6.3 Protection mechanism available for different IP rights
6.4 Methods in handling IP disputes
7. IP Legislation and Enforcement in Mainland China
7.1 Common IP related issues in cross border trading
7.2 Roles and functions of IP administration and enforcement agencies in Mainland China
7.3 Common enforcement options and their effectiveness
|Application Code||2055-MS149A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Group project presentation (70%)
- Test (30%)
On successful completion of the programme and passing of the assessment, graduates will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE the Certificate for Module (Intellectual Property Asset Management).
Mr Arthur Au
Arthur Hue-Yeung Au, Barrister-at-Law, MCIArb, LLB (Bristol), MA (UCL), PCLL (CityU) is a qualified practising barrister in Hong Kong. He specializes in tech law, intellectual property, data protection law and cryptocurrency regulations. He has previously advised local and regional clients on data protection law (both HK’s PDPO and EU’s GDPR), initial coin offering (ICO), cryptocurrency-related freezing order, pre-sale token purchase agreement, cybersecurity insurance policy, SaaS agreements and bio-tech regulations. Arthur is also building a research focus on PRC’s data protection infrastructure (including the PIPL and PRC Data Security Law). He is a member of the Hong Kong Bar Association, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and PCPD’s Data Protection Officers’ Club (DPOC). From 2019 to 2021, Arthur was a Non-Executive Director at Aurum (Data Governance) Consultants Limited, and has previously published articles in various tech industry magazines, e.g. JUMPSTART, CPO Magazine, IoT For All and had given talks on issues related to tech-funding, startups, data protection and IoT regulations.
- Applicants shall hold an Associate Degree / a Higher Diploma or equivalent and have at least 2 years of work experience.
- Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- Course Fee : HK$7800 (33 hours)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Intellectual Property Asset Management)
證書 (單元: 知識產權管理)
|COURSE CODE 33C136953||FEES $7,800||ENQUIRY 2867-8318|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Intellectual Property Asset Management)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship