Accounting & FinanceFinTech and Financial Intelligence
Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 03 May 2021 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- Nov 2021
- 2 months to 3 months
- Course Fee
- HK$8500 per programme
(1) Dr. Zenki Kwan, FRM, CAIA, CB
Dr. Zenki Kwan, FRM, CAIA, CB, is the investment director of a listed company and a family office in Hong Kong, responsible for investment strategy and portfolio management across equities, fixed income, currency, funds and structured products. He has previously worked in J.P. Morgan, UBS, McKinsey and Samsung Securities. In addition to his doctoral degree, Dr. Kwan also holds Master of Finance and Master of Applied Business Research degrees as well as completed executive education programs at Harvard Law School and Oxford University Saïd Business School, respectively.
(2) Ms. Jenian Tai, CFA, FRM
Ms. Jenian Tai is a Data Scientist at Luminant Analytics for Nassau Re – a reinsurance company based in Connecticut. She specializes in both fundamental and quantitative analyses as well as machine learning for practical application in financial institutions.
Jenian was a senior fundamental research analyst with over 10 years’ experience in multiple billion-dollar international hedge funds and private equity, where she served as an expert in deep fundamental research, modelling, alpha strategy formulation and stock picking. Her exposure has spanned global financial market multi-strategy trading and investment as well as risk management.
In addition to her hedge fund career, Jenian worked as a risk analyst at Societe Generale’s US derivative trading desk and as a data scientist at New York State Homes & Community Renewal. She had analyzed structured and unstructured data in enterprise environment.
Jenian based out of Hong Kong and New York. She is a CFA and a FRM, and she holds a Master of Science in Data Analytics from Columbia University.
(3) Mr. Walter Lau, FCCA
Mr. Walter Lau is a finance professional and chartered accountant with over 10 years’ experience in accounting, finance and investment. He worked in Tricor Services Limited and was responsible for wide-ranged financial advisory services, including accounting and treasury management. Moreover, he worked in Philip Group to dealing equities and derivatives and offer professional advice on local equities, derivatives, structural products, funds and wealth management, as well as foreign investment opportunities. As a financial risk professional, he worked in HSBC by reporting and assessing the risks of equity structural derivatives. Apart from his professional working experience, he has delivered finance and investment courses at various tertiary educational institutions over 10 years.
Walter holds a fellowship of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). He earned an MSc in Finance (Pass with Distinction) from the University of Michigan Dearborn and a BBA (Hons) in Accountancy (minor in Finance) from the City University of Hong Kong.
(4) Mr. Ferrix Lau, ACS, ACIS, CFA, FRM
Mr. Ferrix Lau has over 10 years’ teaching experience in business, accounting and finance modules at tertiary level. He teachers Financial Analysis, Financial Risk Management, Quantitative Analysis, Financial Accounting, Cost and Management Accounting as well as Corporate Governance. Moreover, he is a co-author of a Statistics book, Quantitative Analysis for Professional Studies and Projects. Furthermore, he has strong interests in the areas of Statistical Analysis, Quantitative Finance and Machine Intelligence. Mr. Lau has earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, major in Economics and minor in Computer Science. Besides, he holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration with Distinction from The University of Hong Kong, concentrating on the theme of Accounting Control and Financial Management.
This programme provides students with knowledge of risk management and quantitative analysis using computational tools. It discusses the development of financial markets and investment products for financial risk management. In addition, it covers practical valuation and applications of risk models for financial risk management.
On completion of the module, students should be able to
1. identify different types of financial risks and tools for financial risk management;
2. apply computational tools to value investment products and financial derivatives;
3. analyze financial risks and build risk models using computational tools;
4. discuss the latest development in the financial markets and investment products.
提升資產財富管理業人才培訓先導計劃 (WAM PILOT PROGRAMME)
Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management (ECAppFRM) is one of the eligible courses under the Financial Incentive Scheme for Professional Training (the Scheme) of the Pilot Programme to Enhance Talent Training for the Asset and Wealth Management Sector (the WAM Pilot Programme), funded by the HKSAR government. Under the Scheme, eligible individuals will be reimbursed 80% of the eligible course fees, subject to a maximum of $10,000 (Note: The cap was $7,000 prior to 17 April 2020.) per person throughout the period of 1 October 2016 to 31 March 2023.
Participants who meet the eligibility criteria, attendance requirement and completion of the the programme can apply for reimbursement under the Scheme.
Eligibility: Please refer the details at the WAM Pilot Programme website.
- The minimum class attendance requirement is 70%.
- Attend the whole programme session.
- Participants will not be given attendance record if they are late and/ or absent from the programme session for more than 15 minutes.
- Attendance for the entire programme is signified by the sign-in and sign-out records on the attendance form.
Satisfactory completion of the ECAppFRM programme: Eligible participants who wish to apply for reimbursement under the Scheme must follow the conditions govern the award of the programme to meet the requirements under the Scheme.
- A student must be registered on this programme.
- A student must have paid all due fees and amounts to HKU SPACE.
- A student must have been examined in all the prescribed course work.
- A student must have achieved Pass grades.
- A student must have complied with the Regulations and its amendments made from time to time.
Application to reimburse the course fee, together with the required documents, must be submitted within FOUR months from the programme completion date. For ECAppFRM programme, eligible participants can apply for course reimbursement upon satisfactory completion of the programme. A Letter of Completion will be issued to the eligible participants as a proof of completion of the ECAppFRM course. The Letter of Completion will be sent to eligible participants by post upon completion of the ECAppFRM programme.
For further information, please refer to the WAM Pilot Programme website (www.wamtalent.org.hk) or contact the Programme team.
|Application Code||1885-EP157A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Mon, Wed, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- 30 hours per module
Hong Kong Island Learning Centre
- Kowloon East Learning Centre
The programme consists of one module and the syllabus is as follows. It comprises 30 contact hours with lectures and practical classes in computer laboratory. For students completing the module, they can get the award of Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management.
(1) Financial Risk Management
-Common types of risks: market risks, credit risks and operational risks
-Risk measurement and management tools
-Value creation, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and risk reporting
(2) Quantitative Analysis
-Probability and statistics
-Quantitative analysis using computational tools
-Forecasting and simulation methods
(3) Financial Markets and Investment Products
-Financial institutions and exchange markets
-Analysis of investment products and financial derivatives
-Foreign exchange risk
(4) Valuation and Risk Modeling
-Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) and Multifactor models
-Stress testing and scenario analysis
-Financial valuation and risk modeling using computational tools
Assessment method: two take-home exercises + group project presentation
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who pass in continuous assessment and final assessment as well as achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme
May 2021 intake
|1||3 May 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
|2||5 May 21 (Wed)||19:00-22:00|
|3||10 May 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
|4||12 May 21 (Wed)||19:00-22:00|
|5||17 May 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
|6||24 May 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
|7||26 May 21 (Wed)||19:00-22:00|
|8||31 May 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
|9||2 Jun 21 (Wed)||19:00-22:00|
|10||7 Jun 21 (Mon)||19:00-22:00|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with qualifications in quantitative areas (e.g., mathematics, engineering, statistics, computer science, economics, finance) are preferred. Those with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8500 per programme (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- FinTech and Financial Intelligence
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Diploma in Sustainable Finance and Investment Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Chartered Financial Analyst Level 1 Education Programme Chartered Financial Analyst Level 2 Education Programme Chartered Financial Analyst Level 3 Education Programme