Aviation, Transport and Logistics Aviation Engineering and Technology
Before joining the Postgraduate Certificate in Aviation and Big Data Applications programme, you are invited to join the following free online course offered by HKU SPACE:
The Introduction to Aviation and Big Data Applications is an online taster programme to offer essential information regarding the Future Learn online platform. This is a four-week purely online programme, free of charge.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Aviation and Big Data Applications is a 6-month programme with 102 contact hours.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Evaluate the development of big data technology and its applications on aviation business operations;
- Formulate a well-structured big data business strategy for an aviation organisation;
- Apply big data concepts and tools to solve aviation business problems;
- Analyse the causes for the success or failure of a big data project under the aviation environment.
Assessment and Award
To be eligible for the award of Postgraduate Certificate in Aviation and Big Data Applications awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE, students must satisfy the following criteria:
- 75% attendance of lectures for each module;
- a passing score of 50% in both the continuous assessment and examination for each module.
Days / Time
- Tue, Thu, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Fortress Tower Learning Centre
- Island East Campus
- HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus
- Remark: HKU SPACE reserves the right to alter details of the course such as date, time, venue and substitution of lecture or tutors.
Modules & Class Details
The programme consists of 3 modules, each of which requires 30-42 contact hours, totally 102 hours. Students are required to complete all the following modules:
1. Data Science and Analytics Basics
- Big data analytics context and concepts in the aviation industry
- Descriptive analytics
- Database process techniques
- Statistics and data visualisation
- Case Study: Basic data analytucs application in the aviation industry
2. Data Technology in Aviation Operation
- Strategic importance of big data analytics application in the aviation industry
- Data analytics framework for the aviation industry
- Data analytics software tools
- Big data and mathematic modelling in the aviation industry
- Decision analysis/modelling decisions
- Decision analtic thinking
- Performance dashboards and data modelling with graph applications
3. Data Driven Strategic Decision Making in Aviation Operation
- Data analytics technology and business perofrmance in the aviation industry
- Enterprise data storage and security risk management
- Case studies of big data applications in aviation industry
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants shall hold:
(i) a bachelor’s degree in any discipline awarded by a recognised institution and one year of full-time work experience in the aviation industry; or
(ii) a professional qualification* and two years of full-time work experience related to the aviation industry.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a core of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Applicants may be invited to attend an admission interview if required.
*Professional qualifications may include an Advanced Airport Operations Diploma conferred by the International Air Transport Association or completion of the professional training programmes organised by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (e.g. Aviation Data-driven Decision Making programme).
- Course Fee : HK$21,930 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Certificate in Aviation and Big Data Applications
|COURSE CODE 33E142209||FEES $21,930||ENQUIRY 3762-0051|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Certificate in Aviation and Big Data Applications
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Diploma in Aviation Operations and Management Advanced Diploma in Big Data Analytics and Applications Certificate in Australian Private Pilot Licence Training Certificate for Module (Operation Procedures of Commercial Flying in Hong Kong) Certificate for Module (Flight Simulation Training: Single Engine Fixed Wing Aircraft) Certificate for Module (Helicopter Flying Fundamentals)