Certificate in General English (Introductory)
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 19 Oct 2020 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- Mar 2021
- 30 weeks
- Course Fee
Get Your Results & Understand the SPACE - CEFR General...
The programme provides students with practice in introductory English usage and skills-building through student-centred and graded learning activities such as speaking, writing, reading and listening to a variety of semi-authentic English texts. Upon successful completion of the programme, students are expected to speak and write at an introductory level and be confident when communicating in English.
The SPACE General English Programme consists of seven-tier general English courses with each of the tiers becoming progressively more difficult:
Certificate in General English (Foundation)
Certificate in General English (Introductory) or
Certificate in English Language Skills (Introductory)
Certificate in General English (Intermediate) or
Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate)
Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate)
Certificate in General English (Advanced)
Diploma in General English
90 hours (30 meetings x 3 hours each; once per week)
|Application Code||Commencement||Day / Time||Venue|
19 Oct 2020
6:45 - 9:45 pm
|1850-1751AW||20 Oct 2020||
6:45 - 9:45 pm
|To be confirmed (Hong Kong side)|
|1850-1754AW||24 Oct 2020||
2:30 - 5:30 pm
22 Oct 2020
7:00 - 10:00 pm
Teaching & Teaching Venue
There is no guarantee that the teaching venue allocated for the entire course duration will be the same*. Depending on room availability, teaching venues may be different from those advertised at the time this Pamphlet is published.
* (1) Students with classes in Tong Nai Kan, Kowloon West, should note that, in the case of closure of Po Leung Kuk Tong Nai Kan Junior Secondary School, the lessons thus affected will be transferred to other centres available at the time of booking.
(2) Should the demand arise, due to unexpected circumstances, to make up class(es) within a stipulated timeframe, virtual classes may be conducted to replace the normal face-to-face teaching-learning.
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers;others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Applicants should note:
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
Non-Local Applicants / Non-Permanent Hong Kong Residents
The following non-local / non-permanent Hong Kong residents are eligible to study part-time English Language courses at HKU SPACE without making visa arrangements:
(1) those who study in Hong Kong and hold a student visa under HKU SPACE;
(2) those who live in Hong Kong on a one-way permit (單程證);
(3) those admitted to Hong Kong as dependents;
(4) those issued with a valid working/employment visa;
(5) those who stay in Hong Kong under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme; and
(6) those issued with an Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG)
It is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that their permits/visas are valid and make appropriate visa arrangements before making payments. Upon course application, non-local applicants are required to show original copies of their permits and/or visas.
- 30 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
- have completed the Foundation Certificate in General English awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in English Language; or
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade E (Syllabus B) or Grade C (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 2 in English Language from 2007.
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE General English Entrance Examination.
A non-refundable fee of $210 is required for taking this test. Applicants for the test should fill out the special application form for the SPACE General English Entrance Examination to take the exam (90 minutes) on a date that suits them. We will send out letters offering places after the exam sessions in good time to allow applicants ample time for course enrolment. Applicants who take an early exam will have a better chance of getting a place at a centre and time of their choice. Applicants who take a later exam will have a limited choice of classes.
There is no guarantee that everyone who takes the SPACE General English Entrance Examination will be offered a place in any of the tiers of the SPACE English Course. Candidates whose performance indicates that they are below the tier of the Certificate in General English (Foundation) may be advised to take the Essential English course before continuing with other language development courses at HKU SPACE.
- Early Bird Rate : HK$6,200 (Application received on or before 26 September 2020)
- Course Fee : HK$6,400 (Application received on or after 27 September 2020)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in General English (Introductory)|
|COURSE CODE 24Z01000-8||FEES $6,400 (regular) or $6,200 (for early enrolment)||ENQUIRY 3762-0804|
Continuing Education Fund
The Certificate in General English (Introductory) programme is registered with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) as a CEF reimbursable course.
For details, visit their address at http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/.
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in General English (Introductory)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to Applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- SPACE General English Entrance Examination Essential English Certificate in General English (Foundation) Certificate in English Language Skills (Introductory) Certificate in General English (Intermediate) Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Advanced) Diploma in General English Advanced Diploma in General English