Advanced Diploma in General English
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 21 Oct 2019 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- Jan 2020
- 12 months
- Course Fee
The following non-local / non-permanent Hong Kong residents are eligible to study part-time English Language courses at HKU SPACE without making visa arrangements (they do not need prior approval before taking up part-time study courses:
1. those who study in Hong Kong and holding a student visa under HKU SPACE;
2. those who live in Hong Kong on one-way permits (單程證);
3. those admitted to Hong Kong as dependents;
4. those issued with a valid working/employment visa;
5. those who stay in Hong Kong under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme; and
6. those issued with an Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG)
It is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that their visas are valid and to make appropriate visa arrangements. Upon course enrolment, non-local applicants are required to show original copies of their permits and/or visas.
This programme is designed for students who seek to advance knowledge of the English language system and develop higher language awareness and communication skills. Apart from face-to-face learning in the classroom, students participate in self-directed and experiential learning outside the classroom, i.e., e-learning and English Immersion Activities.
The programme aims to:
- provide students of advanced English proficiency with opportunities to further improve linguistic knowledge and functional language use through conveying ideas on information-rich topics and in a variety of contexts; and
- enable students to make further advancement in English proficiency through improved linguistic competence and an increased awareness of English as an international language.
This programme comprises a single module with lecture and non-lecture activities. Face-to-face lectures/lessons provide input on grammar and linguistic knowledge while non-lecture activities help students undertake self-directed learning and reinforce language practice in real-world situations.
The programme is a 60-credit course with a total of 135 face-to-face lecture hours and 90 non-lecture hours on:
- E-Learning Activities: 72 hours*
- English Immersion Activities: 18 hours**
Students are required to spend additional time and efforts in completing the assigned E-learning and English Immersion activities.
Completion of the programme leads to the Advanced Diploma in General English award.
Students spend time a minimum of 3 - 4 hours per week on online e-learning activities which include reading texts, listening to audio, viewing video clips , etc.
**English Immersion Activities (EIA)
To put knowledge and skills into practice, students spend a minimum of 18 hours or more on out-of-class activities such as attending talks/seminars/presentations, participating in debating, storytelling or playreading, appreciating movie, etc.
|Application Code||Commencement||Day / Time||Venue|
|1750-2190AW||21 Oct 2019||
6:45 - 9:45 pm
|Room 1204, HPSHCC Campus, Causeway Bay|
7 Jan 2020
On completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
- apply advanced linguistic knowledge and skills in order to communicate with high appropriacy and accuracy;
- use advanced grammar knowledge in terms of different aspects of meaning, form and precision in structurally and linguistically complex situations;
- improve text fluency by acquiring advanced lexicon range, i.e., contextualised lexis, collocations, idiomatic and colloquial expressions;
- communicate using language strategies for decoding complex situations by demonstrating appropriacy, sensitivity and the capacity to deal with unfamiliar topics;
- produce a variety of written genres with relevant conventions and well-organised structures showing an understanding of
style, register and content of advanced discourse functions;
- present well-structured speech with systematic attention to delivery and pronunciation features such as word/sentence stress, intonation or emphasis in presenting arguments, negotiating and justifying controversial ideas; and
- construct a repertoire of self-directed language learning skills from self-study (via E-learning activities) and experiential learning (via English immersion activities) involvement.
- hold a Diploma in General English with Grade C or above awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- hold an Advanced Diploma in Business English awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- hold a Diploma in Business English with Merit awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 5 in English Language;
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade B (Syllabus B) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 5 in English Language from 2007 or in the HKALE Grade D in AS Use of English.
Applicants with equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit, and may be required to take a test in English.
- Course Fee : HK$13,500
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of