Pursuing Qualifications Leading to the Statistician Profession
The Hong Kong Statistical Society (HKSS) examination is a recommended avenue for pursuing qualifications at various levels of the statistical profession. It isorganised by the HKSS, which is a professional society founded in 1977.
- HKU SPACE offers an application and registration service to the HKSS for all applicants for the examination.
- The examination consists of three levels, viz. the ordinary certificate level, the higher certificate level and the graduate diploma level.
- The ordinary certificate is offered in a modular form consisting of two modules.
- The higher certificate is offered in a modular form consisting of eight modules which may be taken singly or in any combination. Each module is separately certificated. The higher certificate as a whole is awarded on successful completion of six modules (subject to some restrictions on choice of modules); the "shelf life" of modules leading to this certificate is unlimited.
- The Graduate Diploma is offered in two versions:
- The "traditional" version consists of five compulsory papers. These are Statistical Theory and Methods I and II, Applied Statistics I and II and an Options Paper. The subjects in the Options Paper take the form of half-syllabuses in the following six subject areas: Statistics for Economics, Econometrics, Operational Research, Medical Statistics, Biometry and Statistics for Industry and Quality Improvement. Candidates are required to answer questions on two of these half-syllabuses. This version of the graduate diploma is available for the last time in 2009 but will cease to be offered as from 2010. Candidates entering the graduate diploma for the first time in 2009 must register for the modular version. Transitional arrangements will be available for candidates who are part-way through the traditional version after the 2009 examinations, so that they may transfer to the modular version in 2010 but with credit given for work already completed.
- The Graduate Diploma is also offered in modular form, consisting of five modules which may be taken singly or in any combination. Each module is separately certificated. The graduate diploma as a whole is awarded on successful completion of all modules; the "shelf life" of modules leading to this diploma is unlimited.
- Details about arrangements for sitting the papers at the three different levels mentioned above can be found on the website of the HKSS at www.hkss.org.hk.
For the ordinary certificate and the higher certificate, candidates may opt to sit for papers in either English or Chinese. For the graduate diploma examination, all papers must be answered in English.
HKU SPACE offers the “Certificate in Statistics (Practical Survey Sampling)” supporting tuition course, which is useful for candidates sitting the HKSS examinations.
Candidates can choose to prepare for the HKSS examinations by self-study or enrolment on such course.
If candidates who wish to sit the examination to be held in May 2017 must submit the following applications by the specified deadlines:
|Membership||31 January 2017|
|Exemption||24 February 2017|
|Examination||10 March 2017|
Application forms and all examination materials can be downloaded from www.hkss.org.hk.
|Address:||The Hong Kong Statistical Society Examination Office,
c/o HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
Room 313, 3/F, Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am to 7:30 pm