At HKU SPACE, we design and offer courses to meet your goals for General English, Business English and English for the Professions. These range from 30 hours to 90 hours and cover a broad spectrum of levels.
Reasons to improve your English at HKU SPACE:
- Polish your interpersonal and career skills
- Learn to communicate ideas more effectively
- Interact confidently with overseas and English speaking people
- Fine-tune your presentations and writing to project better impressions
- Stay up to date by learning about current English use
- Sharpen your competitive edge in today's global workplace
· effective written communication: Style, tone, image and impact;
· internal communication: Email, memos and minutes; and
· external communication: Job applications, enquiries, complaints and their replies.
This course introduces participants to eight modern American poets as well as several poets of Asian American descent. Participants will read, explicate, and discuss a selection of works by poets such as Wallace Stevens, Hilda Doolittle; Robert Hayden, Elizabeth Bishop, Robert Lowell, Gwendolyn Brooks, Adrienne Rich, and N. Scott Momaday.
• An introduction to the elements of fiction: setting, characterization, plot, theme(s), and point of view;
• An introduction to the characteristics of four subgenres within Fiction: Biblical parables, fairy tales, fables, and Greek myths;
• An explication of how the five elements of fiction function in the four genres;
• A discussion of a set of ready-made teaching materials (written by the course tutor himself) and how they can be used in the classroom
For example, we say 'fast food' instead of 'quick food' and 'quick shower' but not 'fast shower'. Mastering collocations will make your language more natural and more easily understood and thus have alternative and richer ways of expressing yourself.