At HKU SPACE, we design and offer courses to meet your goals for General English, Business English and English for the Professions. These range from 30 hours to 90 hours and cover a broad spectrum of levels.
Reasons to improve your English at HKU SPACE:
- Polish your interpersonal and career skills
- Learn to communicate ideas more effectively
- Interact confidently with overseas and English speaking people
- Fine-tune your presentations and writing to project better impressions
- Stay up to date by learning about current English use
- Sharpen your competitive edge in today's global workplace
It may be taken as a silly question. Everyone knows how to watch films. Films are created primarily for entertainment, and not for the intellectualizing interpretations of pompous academics. That much is certain. How to enjoy watching films, however, has become an increasingly important question. The usually half-empty cinema theatres in Hong Kong attest for it.
This course introduces participants to eight modern American poets as well as several poets of Asian American descent. Participants will read, explicate, and discuss a selection of works by poets such as Wallace Stevens, Hilda Doolittle; Robert Hayden, Elizabeth Bishop, Robert Lowell, Gwendolyn Brooks, Adrienne Rich, and N. Scott Momaday.
Books for reading / discussion * :
(Subject to change)
- A Shimmering Sea: Hong Kong Stories
- The Golden Needle
- Wannabe Backpackers
- A Misted Mirror
- Memoirs of an Ice-Cream Lady
- Searching for Frederick
- Chocolate's Brown Study in the Bag
This course focuses on Impromptu Talk and Discussion. It aims to develop oral communications skills that enable you to speak clearly and present ideas coherently.