Life & Health SciencesMedical Sciences
B.Sc.(Hons.) in Biological Science
- Awarded by
Edinburgh Napier University, UK
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 2 years
This programme is for those with a background education in the biological sciences or medical laboratory science disciplines wishing to progress to degree or honours degree level. The programme provides students with a firm foundation in the biological sciences together with specialist knowledge in the area of biological testing including microbiology, biochemical and toxicological analyses. It will be taught through face-to-face lectures/tutorials, online tutorials and hands-on practicals.
This programme places an emphasis on practical skills, with laboratory classes included in several of the modules, and a research or work-related project. In addition to those general scientific skills, this programme is designed to develop for students a wide range of employability and transferable skills. It will equip students for any graduate level scientific job, and provide them with the specialist skills to go into a wide range of biological careers and contribute to their successful integration in employment in the biological science/life science sector.
Graduates may progress to programmes of study to masters and doctoral level. In addition to careers in the life sciences, students may use the wide range of employability skills they have developed to attain graduate level jobs in other sectors, e.g. administration, business and education. Graduates will also be considered for admission to the MSc Biomedical Science currently offered by Edinburgh Napier University in conjunction with HKU SPACE.
Mode of Delivery
This programme is delivered on a part-time basis. Normally classes will be held on weekday evenings and/or Saturdays. The medium of instruction is English.
The programme will be delivered in 3 trimesters per year, with 15 weeks in each. The course of studies for the BSc (Hons) can be achieved in 24 months. Students can complete the programme in 2 years (6 trimesters), part-time mode (2 modules / 40 credits per trimester).
Assessment of modules is normally based on a combination of coursework and examination. Coursework can include laboratory/project reports, tutorial exercises, laboratory performance, oral and poster presentation.
Students who have successfully completed the programme will be awarded Bachelor of Science (Honours) Biological Science degree by the Edinburgh Napier University. An exit award of BSc Biological Science ordinary degree is available for students who only study the first year of the programme (3 trimesters in 1 year).
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
* Edinburgh Napier BSc graduates (60-credit top-up programme) wishing to attain BSc (Hons) will be given exemption credits based on their previous studies for Medical Microbiology or Introductory & Applied Molecular Genetics, Applied Immunology or Food Microbiology & Biotechnology, Scientific Communication – Dissertation & Statistics and, in some cases, Microbiology Testing.
Details of the course content, please refer to the leaflet.
Applicants shall have achieved either:
1. a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in a subject related to the biological sciences, for example
- Analytical Science and Technology
- Applied Biology/Biotechnology
- Biomedical Science
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Technology
- Food Science and Technology
- Medical and Health Products Management
- Pharmaceutical Technology
2. a Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science;
3. other equivalent qualifications.
English language requirements
Students are expected to have achieved either:
i) AS-Level (or equivalent) pass in the Use of English;
ii) a minimum of a PASS in all English language/communication subjects as part of the Higher Diploma/Associate Degree programmes, plus Level 2 in English Language in HKDSE Examination.
Students with a BSc (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline will be considered for advanced entry to the BSc (Hons) programme. Exemption credits will be awarded on the basis of prior gained credit and possession of the prerequisite knowledge required to succeed on the programme.
- HK$82,000 (Year 1: 2 instalments and is subject to review)
- HK$87,000 (Year 2: 2 instalments and is subject to review)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit:
Duly completed HKU SPACE application form;
Copies of academic certificates and results slips;
A copy of HKID card or passport; and
An application fee of HK$150 (non-refundable) by crossed cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE".
Please make sure to pay sufficient postage for all mail items. The closing date for application is 10 August 2020.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
Located in Scotland's cosmopolitan and beautiful capital city, Edinburgh Napier University is home to forward thinking people inspired by the world around them. The University aims to develop students through personalized learning and links to industry, and find solutions to societal problems through relevant research.
Alongside leading academic theory you’ll find professional know-how and extensive industry connections. Indeed, many of their courses are recognized by professional bodies and more than 95% of graduates are in work or further education within six months of graduating (HESA 2016/17). Edinburgh Napier was awarded five stars for teaching, employability and internationalization in the QS Stars 2019 and have twice been winners of the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize, which recognizes excellence, innovation and public benefit in work carried out by universities and colleges in the United Kingdom.
With around 20,000 students from more than 150 countries studying in Edinburgh, online and at partners like HKU SPACE across the world, Edinburgh Napier is a truly international University. Edinburgh Napier is also proud to be the largest UK provider of Higher Education in Hong Kong, with over 3,000 students a year studying a range of courses. In 2019 the University celebrated 25 years of education provision in Hong Kong, in collaboration with HKU SPACE.
- Number one in the UK for "value added", according to the Guardian (Guardian University Guide 2017). This compares entry requirements to final degree award and shows we take you further than anyone else
- 95% of Edinburgh Napier's UK undergraduates are in work or further study six months after graduating (HESA 2016/2017)
- In the QS Stars international university rankings (2019), the quality of our teaching, internationalization and employability were all officially recognized, with the University scoring five stars in each category
- We are in the top 5% of universities worldwide (THE World University Rankings 2019)
- More Programmes of
- Medical Sciences