Life & Health SciencesMedical Sciences
B.Sc.(Hons.) in Biological Science
- Awarded by
Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 20 Sep 2021 (Mon)
- 2 years
This programme is for those with a background education in the biological sciences or medical laboratory science disciplines wishing to progress to degree or honours degree level. The programme provides students with a firm foundation in the biological sciences together with specialist knowledge in the area of biological testing including microbiology, biochemical and toxicological analyses. It will be taught through face-to-face lectures/tutorials, online tutorials and hands-on practicals.
This programme places an emphasis on practical skills, with laboratory classes included in several of the modules, and a research or work-related project. In addition to those general scientific skills, this programme is designed to develop for students a wide range of employability and transferable skills. It will equip students for any graduate level scientific job, and provide them with the specialist skills to go into a wide range of biological careers and contribute to their successful integration in employment in the biological science/life science sector.
Graduates may progress to programmes of study to masters and doctoral level. In addition to careers in the life sciences, students may use the wide range of employability skills they have developed to attain graduate level jobs in other sectors, e.g. administration, business and education. Graduates will also be considered for admission to the MSc Biomedical Science currently offered by Edinburgh Napier University in conjunction with HKU SPACE.
Mode of Delivery
This programme is delivered on a part-time basis. Normally classes will be held on weekday evenings and/or Saturdays. The medium of instruction is English.
The programme will be delivered in 3 trimesters per year, with 15 weeks in each. The course of studies for the BSc (Hons) can be achieved in 24 months. Students can complete the programme in 2 years (6 trimesters), part-time mode (2 modules / 40 credits per trimester).
Assessment of modules is normally based on a combination of coursework and examination. Coursework can include laboratory/project reports, tutorial exercises, laboratory performance, oral and poster presentation.
Students who have successfully completed the programme will be awarded Bachelor of Science (Honours) Biological Science degree by the Edinburgh Napier University. Students have completed the first year of the programme (6 required modules with 120 credits) and chosen to exit the programme will be awarded the Bachelor of Science in Biological Science.
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
*Details of the course content, please refer to the leaflet.
Applicants shall have achieved either:
1. a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in a subject related to the biological sciences, for example
- Analytical Science and Technology
- Applied Biology/Biotechnology
- Biomedical Science
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Technology
- Food Science and Technology
- Medical and Health Products Management
- Pharmaceutical Technology
2. a Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science;
3. other equivalent qualifications.
English Language Requirements
Students are expected to have achieved either:
i) AS-Level (or equivalent) pass in the Use of English;
ii) a minimum of a PASS in all English language/communication subjects as part of the Higher Certificate/Higher Diploma/Associate Degree programmes, plus Level 2 in English Language in HKDSE Examination.
Students with a BSc (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline will be considered for advanced entry to the BSc (Hons) programme. Exemption credits will be awarded on the basis of prior gained credit and possession of the prerequisite knowledge required to succeed on the programme.
- HK$84,000 (Year 1: 2 instalments and is subject to review)
- HK$87,000 (Year 2: 2 instalments and is subject to review)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit:
Duly completed HKU SPACE application form;
Copies of academic certificates and results slips;
A copy of HKID card or passport; and
An application fee of HK$150 (non-refundable) by crossed cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE".
Please make sure to pay sufficient postage for all mail items.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
Located in Scotland's cosmopolitan and beautiful capital city, Edinburgh Napier University in an ambitious and innovative university with strong links to industry. They work closely with industry contacts and partners to develop and deliver their courses, many of which are accredited or recognised by leading industry bodies. It’s no surprise, then, that more than 95% of graduates are in work or further education within six months of graduating.
Academics excel in their fields. Their research improves lives in Scotland and across the globe. They teach and inspire you, as well as connect you to industry and help you build international networks you will value for the rest of your life.
Edinburgh Napier is committed to providing the best possible teaching for its students. They were awarded five stars for teaching in the 2019 QS Stars international university rankings. In 2020, the National Student Survey saw nine of the University’s subjects, including biological sciences, achieve 100% student satisfaction, and ranked Edinburgh Napier the top university in Edinburgh for student satisfaction. What’s more, Edinburgh Napier is the top modern university in Scotland (Good University Guide 2021).
One of Scotland’s largest universities, Edinburgh Napier has more than 20,000 students from over 150 countries studying in Edinburgh, online and at partners across the globe. Edinburgh Napier is also proud to be the largest UK provider of Higher Education in Hong Kong, with over 3,000 students a year studying a range of courses. In 2019 the University celebrated 25 years of education provision in Hong Kong, in collaboration with HKU SPACE.
- Top modern university in Scotland (Good University Guide 2021)
- 100% student satisfaction in nine of the University’s subjects, including biological sciences (National Student Survey, 2020)
- Top university in Edinburgh for student satisfaction (National Student Survey, 2020)
- In the QS Stars international university rankings (2019), the quality of our teaching, internationalization and employability were all officially recognized, with the University scoring five stars in each category
- We are in the top 5% of universities worldwide (THE World University Rankings 2019)
- 95% of Edinburgh Napier's UK undergraduates are in work or further study six months after graduating (HESA 2016/2017)
- More Programmes of
- Medical Sciences